PDA

View Full Version : Polish Quiz

bcbassn
06-05-2002, 11:12 AM
I realize everyone has his or her personal opinion on how to shine a car. My twice a year detail overhaul consisted of 1) Wash, 2) Clay bar, 3) Hand applied Wax Shop Swirl Away polish and 4) Hand applied Wax Shop Clear Coat Carnauba Wax, 4) Final wipe down with Wax Shop Quick Detailer.

Here are my questions for you all;

1) Do you believe there truly is a difference between one brand of mild swirl cleaner or polish and another brand? Isn’t one companies “mild” polish going to essentially produce the same level of results as anothers?

2) I’ve used a rotary buffer/foam pad/Wax Shop Swirl Away on my 2002 red Jaguar X-Type. There are still those very fine circular “spider web” scratches that probably only us experienced people can see (No swirl mark type reflection). I have always been told you can’t get these out because of the lack of a special chemical added to the paint due to EPA standards for auto manufacturers. What are your opinions? Will multiple applications of mild polish with the buffer eventually work these out?

3) Towels! It would appear to me any towel with a loop fiber, such as cotton towels, would scratch the paint. I have always used cotton cloth diapers. What do you think?

chevyguy28
06-05-2002, 09:48 PM
1) Yes, there are differences, especially if you have set expectations. Some polishes give a deeper finish, but have less shine, and vice versa. Also, depending on the product, one may suit your style of application better (some polishes are definately better by hand, some are definately better by PC). The best polish is the one you are most happy with as a whole. Some people alternate.

Look at 3M IHG vs. Meguiar`s #9 or #7 (slightly different purposes between these two). Yes, careful examination will show differences. People have different preferences on which they like better.

2) I`m not really qualified to answer this, so I`ll let someone else field it. However, my guess is that since your car is almost brand new, they are removable with more cutting. Multiple applications might do it, or at least mask them temporarily.

3) A cotton looped fiber towel will not scratch, assuming that both the paint and towel are absolutely clean. Your diapers can easily scratch if you are not careful with it. Microfiber is probably the best thing I`ve ever used, and it is looped primarily. In both cases, the quality of the product is critical.

Diapers are a bit "old school" but work well. Do you find them leaving lint behind, having limited durability, or lacking longevity before you must turn to a new one?