PDA

View Full Version : UV Protection in Wax or Sealants, Yes?, No?

CharlesW
06-05-2002, 09:09 AM
Recently, a friend of mine said the main benefit of waxes and sealants as far as UV protection, was the preserving the clear coat. He feels that the best UV inhibitors are in the clear coat, and not provided by the wax or sealant applied. Pretty knowledgeable guy with lots of car finish experience. Any comments? It seemed like a topic worthy of some discussion or debate.

Charles

PlatinumFanatic
06-05-2002, 09:20 AM
My favorite sunscreen to use down here in Florida is Coppertone Sport #48, I tend to burn quite easily. It is a water proof/ sweatproof 8 hour sunscreen but I apply every 2 hours when Im out. A look at the ingredients show it is high in polymer content. The polymers provide UV protection.

In car care products your highest UV protection comes from amino-functional polymers.

The clear on your cars finish is full of UV protectants and inhibitors and is why cars dont fade like they did in the old days. With polymer protectants we are adding additional UV protection and protecting and preserving the clear coat.

imported_memnuts
06-05-2002, 09:24 AM
Good question. Sealants state that they have UV protective properties. Paint, clearcoat and polymer sealants are all polymers. We can only assume that the same additives used in clearcoat preps can also be added to sealants (Zaino,BFand Klasse). Waxes :nixweiss.

My best UV protection is provided by my garages for my classics, Z28 and LS400.

DETAILKING
06-05-2002, 11:36 AM
is always in the form of additives......not totally inherent in the polymers themselves..............

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is some information.......

UVB protectants

PABA (P-Aminobenzoic Acid) & Derivatives

This compound was used extensively in the 1950`s and 1960`s. It has since fallen out of favor for several reasons:

- It doesn`t effectively absorb the wavelengths of UV light compared to newer active ingredients.

- It is not water soluble, and so must be used in an alcohol-based solution.

- Some people become sensitive to the compound after contact, and can have an allergic reaction to subsequent exposures.

- It can discolor both cotton and synthetic fabrics, and the yellow stain can become permanent after sun exposure.

PABA is no longer a common ingredient in sunscreens.

Many of the PABA derivatives are water-soluble and do not penetrate the skin, thus avoiding photocontact dermatitis. The most common derivative, padimate O is now used in very few sunscreens. All PABA derivatives provide only partial UVB and no UVA protection.

Salicylates

These are not very effective sunscreen agents. However, they are often used because they are stable, nonsensitizing (not usually causing a bad reaction), and water-insoluble. Being water insoluble means that they can be used in a water-resistant or waterproof sunscreen. They provide full UVB coverage, but no UVA protection.

Cinnamates

These compounds are UVB blockers but have poor substantivity (waterproofness). They are generally found in combination with other agents. An example is octylmethyl cinnamate, which is abbreviated OMC.

UVA protectants

Benzophenones

These agents absorb mostly in the UVA region (320-350 nanommeter wavelength). Products that contain benzophenones can cause photocontact allergy to these agents. Contact-sensitivity has been reported with these compounds.

Dibenzoylmethanes

These compounds are capable of a high degree of UV absorption. However, they are also unstable, and can quickly undergo photodegradation into unprotective compounds.

jrush
06-05-2002, 12:43 PM
I like that Banana Boat stuff. Smells really good. Hawaiian Tropic is pretty good too.

-----

I figure the sun does do bad stuff to the finish. I used to have a bra on the car, and when I would take it off after the season, you could see the paint was darker where the bra had been.

MikeLS
06-05-2002, 07:56 PM
Well your friend isn`t completely wrong, but using a sealant is the BEST way to keep your paint from oxidizing or fading. Yes, today`s paints do contain ingredients that slow down the oxidizing process, but will never completely prevent it from occurring. If this were the case, there wouid never be a need to wax or polish the car other than for better appearance alone. Even the best paint jobs in the world would break down and fade over time if left exposed and unprotected from the elements. A product that contains UV and polymer protection, like Zaino, is the best protection available, IMO, if you live in harsher conditions i.e. very hot UV, acidic rain, IFO, etc...and have to drive the car daily. If you have a garage queen, they need much less maintanence and can even get away with no wax or polymer protection if it`s never exposed to adverse conditions. In fact, many show car owners just use a glaze and nothing else! But, a show car and a daily driver have little in common as far as paint maintainence is concerned. Waxing often is the best preventative measure toward preserving any paint finish. Something is better than nothing at all...but a synthetic like Zaino is about the best there is as far as protection is concerned.

:wavey

drewski59
06-07-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Metallic Mike

Waxing often is the best preventative measure toward preserving any paint finish. Something is better than nothing at all...but a synthetic like Zaino is about the best there is as far as protection is concerned.

I completely agree!:p

I wouldn`t use anything else on a daily driver!! Nothing sticks to it, and I have a peace of mind when leaving it in direct sunlight!!

UV rays are the number one killer of paints!!!

Zaino by far gives me the most confidence as far as protection is concerned(not to mention the superior(IMO) look!!)

:wavey