PDA

View Full Version : Any tips?

annapoal
06-05-2002, 01:07 AM
I checked the UPS website and it looks like I`ve got a ton of stuff showing up tomorrow that I ordered last Friday (I had knee surgery last Thursday so I had a lot of time on my hands Friday when the drugs weren`t knocking me out).

Over the next couple days I`m hoping I`ll be able to move around well enough to go out and start playing with the new toys, the main one being a PC from Coastal Tools. My car is only about 6 months old but after my detailing a couple weeks ago I noticed a number of swirls and a couple fine scratches, as well as a couple dings from rocks on the highway :mad:. This is my plan of attack, but I have a couple questions about application:

1. Wash, I use P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo

2. Dry, I`ve been using a California water blade and a chamois. I don`t think I`ve been careful enough about keeping them clean and could account for the swirls, fine scratches. I have a CMA Big Blue drying towel coming that I plan to use now, maybe still use the water blade but I will be more careful with it and wipe it after each pass.

2. Clay, I`ve got some Pinnacle PolyClay coming.

3. Another quick wash/dry to get any clay residue up.

4. Meguiars #9 applied with the PC. I plan on using a CMA white pad, maybe step to a yellow pad if I can`t seem to make progress on the swirls. How does that sound?

5. AIO applied with a white pad by PC. Should this be removed by hand or using a MF bonnet on the PC (over the lambswool pad for padding)?

6. SG*3 now should I apply by hand with a foam pad or with the PC using a gray pad? And again, should I remove by hand or PC?

7. Souveran (Incoming from xvworld.com, I really look forward to seeing this on the red after all I`ve read about it :up). It seems like this should be applied by hand, but it also seems like it would be faster with a gray PC pad, any suggestions? I`ve got plenty of pads coming so that I can switch between products.

The tires are brake dust city. I use a strong mix of EF Power Wash+ to clean the tires and wheels. I used to use EF Hi Intensity on the inside of the rims for the really caked on brake dust and then tried Sonus Gel. They both seem to work equally so-so, which means that with some scrubbing with a wheel brush it comes off moderately easily. I ordered some P21S Gel to try, and also based on some tips from the board I plan on giving them a coat of AIO and SG (is that right or is it just SG?) to hopefully make future cleanings a little easier. I finish with some Vinylex on the tires which gives a nice satin finish when wiped off shortly after application.

The interior I think is still in pretty good shape from a couple weeks ago, but I may wipe a bit and give it a quick vacuum (I just had a central vacuum installed in the house, the unit sits in the garage and I have a 30 foot hose that attaches to it giving me a really powerful vacuum that is very easy to use!). I use the Pinnacle products in the interior, although I usually clean the seats with 303 occassionally.

Say, what is a good product to use on the rubber window moldings. I am currently using the Pinnacle Vinyl and Rubber Protectant but I am not sure how happy I am with that stuff for this purpose (I love it in the interior though, and ohh the smell!).

I also ordered a weathershield car cover. Although my baby is normally garaged at home all day and night, I travel almost weekly and she has to sit in the garage at the airport a lot and there is a lot of construction going on so I normally come back to an inch deep layer of dust. Hopefully the car cover will be effective at keeping the dust at bay.

I was planning on having the Porsche dealer try to do something about the 4 or 5 dings that I`ve accumulated, but based on David`s excellent article on repairing them, I think I might pick up some touch-up paint and give it a try on one of the more out of the way ones. Although that means another round of buying for the sandpaper and anything else that I am missing.

Anyways, it is time to hit the sack (actually well past the time, but I`m sure most of you know how time flies while reading through this forum). Ya`ll are great on this board, it`s almost like a big extended family and I don`t think I`ve ever seen a forum with this many members where everyone seems to get along so well. Hopefully we`ll be able to hold onto that! I`ll be sure to post pics of the end result for everyone to see!

Good Night!

wizardofahs
06-05-2002, 02:54 AM
plan sounds good... one sugestion i would make is to do the first wash with Dawn. That will remove any product thats on it right now.

Remove AIO by hand... using a PC for anything but an abrasive or polish seems like a waste to me. All wax and removal can be done by hand.

Same with SG... but apply and remove by hand. A little tip for it... wet your MF you`ll be removing it with and wring it out the best you can so it`s just slightly damp. Use this to remove the bulk of the SG than a dry one to clean up the rest of the residue. will make it tons easier.

Also make sure you let the SG sit on the surface enough (hour or so) and wait long enough between the coats... best would be 12ish hours, but at least 2 between coats.

For Souveren... only by hand... for removal and application... saves product and just seems like the right thing to do. If dust is an issue invest in the cali car duster. Really works like it should and (though there is debate... but see a thread posted recently with a good scientific test) doesn`t scratch.

porterdog
06-05-2002, 06:22 AM
Ditto Dr. J, especially the part about applying SG and the wax by hand. On a small car like the Boxter (I`ve got a Miata) the time savings is pretty insignificant and to quote the instructions that came with my SG `applying by machine is a little tempermental`. :)

On my doorseals and such I use 303 after wiping with a rag dunked in car wash water.

Regarding the brake dust- my rims clean up a _lot_ easier with several coats of SG applied to them.

Good luck, and have fun!

Robert

annapoal
06-05-2002, 10:32 AM
DrJ - I`ve been trying to find good posts about Dawn and it seems some people don`t recommend it because it can possibly strip good oils from the paint, is that right? In any case, all that is on it right now is one coat of AIO that I applied before my knee surgery. The AIO should have already removed everything else already right?

I did see that tip before about removing SG, but thanks for bringing it up again, I will definately give it a try.

I have a Cali car duster, but when I got it I didn`t read the directions and just pulled it out and tried it, leaving a waxy residue all over the hood of the car. I know that was my fault for not reading the directions but it kind of turned me off from it. I`ve been thinking about trying it on my wife`s car now that it has aged.

DrJ and PD - Thanks for the application tips, sounds good. I did forget to ask though, should I remove the #9 by hand or PC?

PD - I`ve got some 303, so I will try that for the seals and see if I like that better than the Pinnacle, thanks. I hope I get as good results with the rims with SG as you do, they are a real pain!

Thanks again!

Redcar GUY
06-05-2002, 10:43 AM
I know this is a little off topic but, dont always count on the UPS site being correct about when your stuff will be there. Last week I was waitin on my new wheels, I was tracking them on the UPS site and it said that they were 2 states away. As I sad here on the computer I hear the UPS truck pull up:nixweiss and they were here! So maybe was lucky>?

annapoal
06-05-2002, 06:38 PM
Everything showed up today from 4 different places, JT International, CMA, XV World, and Coastal Tool. Interesting that the USPS shipped something from California to NC in the same time it took UPS to ship things from 3 different east coast locations to NC.

Actually I`m still waiting for the car cover, but I don`t need that until next Monday.

Ken B
06-06-2002, 09:05 AM
Just a quick word about "Good" oils in the paint... there are none.

New Cars get dirty because they go a long way from tha paint booth to your hands with many people touching the paint while putting the car together, remember that the body is painted BEFORE the car is assembled and a factory is far from 100% clean.

Dawn will strip old waxes, residues, dust etc... it is recommended too help you start with a VERY clean car.

I personally use it ONCE a year before my spring detail followed up by Autoint PH7 just in case.

once you have a clean car you can see what you really see the paint and get to work.

Happy detailing and post pics of that very cool car!

:bounce