PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Jaguar: Changes in black paint

duke583
06-04-2002, 05:25 PM
Eight years ago I bought a black 1990 Jaguar XJ6. The front fender and door had just been repainted by the Jag dealer to repair some scratches. At the time, I noticed absolutely no difference between the original paint and the new paint. I spent alot of time (a day) with the car before I closed the deal.

A few years later, I started to notice a diiference between the old and new paint. This difference seems to get bigger as time passes. The difference is that the new paint is a blacker black than the old paint ("black-black" versus "brown-black"). The original paint is the brown-black. The car has been garaged, and I have put only 9,000 miles on it over the last 8 years. I keep it shining by using the "quick detailer" spray products. I have waxed it myself only about 2 or 3 times during this span.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Is it possible that a professional detailer can use his buffer to restore the original finish to its "black-black color"?

Your thoughts and comments/ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks.

BradE
06-04-2002, 08:42 PM
It`s mainly because the "old" finish has oxodized and faded at a different rate than the "new" finish, that`s why it shows up more over time. Also chances are there are two different brands of clear on the car that can also contribute to the color difference. You can polish the entire car, it probably won`t totally fix the problem but it will certianly make it less noticeable. :up

blackrex
06-05-2002, 02:30 PM
You waxed the car 2x in 8 years:scared I think a good polish is in needed to remove the oxidation then wax. It will hopefully look good after if the paint is not too badly oxidized. I would suggest waxing more often even if it is a garage queen.

duke583
06-06-2002, 08:25 AM
Thanks.

Can you recommend any specific products to remove the oxidation?

blackrex
06-06-2002, 11:43 AM
Black and oxidized I would start with 3M swirl mark remover for dark cars, this will probably leave a slight haze. If the color is still off 3M makes finesse it II which is it bit more abrasive. Then follow up with polish of your choice to remove the haze. I currently use blackfire which is polymer and lasts longer than wax. Which, no insult intended, may be better for you based on how often you like to wax. Oh you will need some type of machine polisher for best results. The PC is very good and safe for beginners.