PDA

View Full Version : New paint job - 1st detail

6567GTO
06-04-2002, 02:27 PM
Hey! I have an older car that I had repainted by a friend in bright red using DuPont Chromabase base coat/clear coat paint. It was done a couple of years ago and has been garaged while I`ve been reassembling the rest of the car. It still has the swirl marks from buffing it out after the paint job was finished and has a little overspray on it from detailing under the hood etc... but not too much.

I did take it out on the road a little at the end of last summer in an unfinished state cuz I couldn`t stand not driving it anymore. I also would like to mention that did throw a little hand glaze and some wax to try and shine her up a bit. But I did notice the buff marks were still there. I was planning to wash the car with Dawn and then clay it with Clay Magic.

Question;

What would you do next? What products would you use?:nixweiss

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Preachers Sheets
06-04-2002, 02:56 PM
Clay for overspray.

3m SMR for swirls.

6567GTO
06-05-2002, 06:47 AM
Thanks,

Here`s the car... You can see the swirls in at least one photo I think.

http://home.earthlink.net/~uptons1/

imported_BretFraz
06-05-2002, 07:34 AM
That thing is wild!!! What a project......looks great so far.

Yeah, you`ll need a swirl mark remover to remove the swirl marks (imagine that...) Will the painter remove them for you? I mean, he put them in, right?

I hope the car gets done so you can take it out on cruise nights and have some fun. Are you gonna show it?

imported_Adamah
06-05-2002, 08:26 AM
Damn....thats a nice goat ya got there!

6567GTO
06-05-2002, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys! I appreciate them. It`s fun to drive, I`ll say that!:cool:

I`ll be taking it to Cruise Nights an occasional Carshow and to the Dragstrip every now and then. The painter is a friend but he already bent over backwards for me when doing the bodywork and paint job so I`m going to attempt to do it myself. The swirl marks aren`t too bad really but I can`t stand having them, lol.