PDA

View Full Version : Washing & Drying question

Kenji
06-04-2002, 10:20 AM
I use Sheepskin Wash Mitt from local supermarket, It`s made in China, and California Water Blade to do the washing and drying.

I find swirl mark all over my car. I went to some car care web site, there is something called wash bush, cost over $60? Good?

what washing and drying tools will not leave smirl marks?

What should I do? I am thinking about buying a PC to remove the smirl marks. any brand and models you recommand? people recommand the 3M SMR, I think I am buying it.

by the way, Mine is a very dark blue metallic

the list below is from someone a few months ago. i think it was the best list, I don`t know if it still is:

any changes??

P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo 8.95

Blitz Wax 15.95

303 Aerospace Protectant: 32 oz. Spray 22.95

P21S Wheel Cleaners: 1000ml. Refill (Regular) 17.95

Eagle One Satin Finish Tire Shine 6.95

Applicators: Foam Wax Applicators 3.95

Applicators: Terry Applicator Pads 4.95

California Car Duster 19.95

Viper Glass Cleaning Cloth 10.95

Feathered-tip Wash Brush 12.95

Microfiber Wash Mitt 15.95

Microfiber Magic Towel 12.95

Big Blue Drying Towel 24.95

Eimann Fabrik Clear Pearl Instant Detail Spray: 32 oz. Spray 14.95

1 inch Round Natural Detail Brush 4.95

Vent Duster 2.95

Pinnacle Leather & Vinyl Cleaner 19.95

Pinnacle Leather Conditioner 24.95

Eimann Fabrik Clear Vision: 32 oz. Spray 7.95

3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Paints 12.95

HellrotCi
06-04-2002, 01:03 PM
I went to some car care web site, there is something called wash bush, cost over $60? Good?

The $60 wash brush you mentioned sounds like the boar`s hair brush from Griots Garage. I got one from them for Xmas 2 years ago and it left fine scratches all over both of my cars. Needless to say I sent it back. Personally, I like the chenille covered wash sponges, CWB and thick 100% cotton towels to blot up the excess water.

RockCity
06-04-2002, 01:20 PM
Are the chenille covered wash sponges also available from Griot`s Garage? If not, please advise.

Thanks.

Originally posted by HellrotCi

The $60 wash brush you mentioned sounds like the boar`s hair brush from Griots Garage. I got one from them for Xmas 2 years ago and it left fine scratches all over both of my cars. Needless to say I sent it back. Personally, I like the chenille covered wash sponges, CWB and thick 100% cotton towels to blot up the excess water.

Chuckmotor
06-04-2002, 02:00 PM
Use sheepskin or 100% cotton mitts. For drying, rinse the car with water by taking the nozzle off the hose and letting the water sheet down and off your car. Then blott dry with a soft, 100% cotton towel, and if you`d like, finish with a microfiber and QD.

For an orbital buffer, get the Porter Cable (PC) 7336 from Lowe`s and then buy the pads and backing plate from CMA.

imported_Intel486
06-04-2002, 03:19 PM
You can also get a DeWalt Dw443 instead of the PC. I have one and love it. I even used it to take out sandpaper marks!http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11253

It has a more powerful motor than the PC so it can spin faster. It runs cool too. I ran it for several hours when doing a boat and it wasn`t even hot! It comes with a velcro backplating and is perfectly balanced for the 6" pads from CMA. I hear people complain the PC makes their hands numb but I have not had that problem with the DeWalt even when running on full speed. It is slightly more expensive than the PC though but worth it!

HellrotCi
06-04-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Schnitzer Are the chenille covered wash sponges also available from Griot`s Garage? If not, please advise.

I looked in one of my Griot`s catalogs and didn`t find any chenille sponges. The ones I use are Detailer`s Choice and I think the last one I bought came from Wal-Mart. I`ve got a sheep skin wash mitt but I didn`t like it, some people swear by them.:nixweiss

Steve
06-04-2002, 04:58 PM
HellrotCi, I too have a Detailer`s Choice Chenelle Wash Mit. I bought it a few days ago. I like it, but it keeps leaving bits of fabric i guess i should say, near the fender flares and in little crevices like that. Do you have this problem? I love the mit, but this bothers me. And it`s kinda hard to pick the bits out of those places too. Any ideas?

Branson

HellrotCi
06-04-2002, 05:23 PM
HellrotCi, I too have a Detailer`s Choice Chenelle Wash Mit. I bought it a few days ago. I like it, but it keeps leaving bits of fabric i guess i should say, near the fender flares and in little crevices like that. Do you have this problem? I love the mit, but this bothers me. And it`s kinda hard to pick the bits out of those places too. Any ideas?

Well, that`s one of the drawbacks. It`s worse when it`s new but gets better after all the excess has been plucked out by your car`s trim.:D I have to pick the fuzz out of the lettering on my wife`s car. I don`t have that problem on my car since it`s debadged. I thought about getting an MF wash sponge when I wear out my current chenelle one.

imported_Wes
06-04-2002, 05:38 PM
Kenji:

Don`t be overwhelmed by the huge list of products you listed....tackle one job at a time.

Washing/drying causes most of the swirls since it is the thing you do most to the paint.

- Did you use 2 buckets??

- Did you wipe the mitts in one direction only??

- Wipe 2 pass per side of the mitts and flip over and 2 more wipes then rinse in clean water bucket.

- Have at least 3 mitts. Upper/lower/elsewhere.

- Don`t use the water blade unless you are sure your car is absolutely clean

If you get the basics right you will find that all you need is good quality mitts and towels(MF or 100%cotton) and soap plus 2 buckets for washing/drying.

There are other gadgets for cleaning the rim/etc. but add them as you progresses.