PDA

View Full Version : heavy oxidation...

PRINZE
06-03-2002, 10:06 PM
What`s the best stuff to use to get rid of 9 year old bad oxidation? I don`t have a rotary, so that`s out. I think the clear coat is pretty much gone on a few spots too. By the way this is my aunt`s car.....never would I allow mine to have a scratch or less than 3 coats of Klasse.

boywonder
06-03-2002, 10:16 PM
For oxidation that severe, you might need to get a medium or heavy cut cleaner. After the cleaner, follow up with a swirl mark remover to get rid of the hazing and then follow up with a good polish, then a wax or glaze.

imported_Tony
06-04-2002, 03:29 PM
Are you going to try this by hand?

BradE
06-04-2002, 03:31 PM
You will need some type of machine to do the work, if not you will probably pass out before you can remove all that heavy oxidation. And remember, that just the first step.

PRINZE
06-04-2002, 11:20 PM
I know it will take me forever to do it by hand, but I`ve never used a rotary. Don`t really feel like trying it out without some teaching first. Any specific product you can recommend? Will an orbital make things go a lot faster? I`ve got one of those. Thanks

Andre'
06-05-2002, 12:54 AM
If you have a good DA like the PC, it will help a-lot, a cheep orbital will help a bit but not much, they just have no power. If you do have a PC use the wool polishing pad to start with than foam.

Products i would recommend.

3M Perfect-IT2 fine cut or medium cut, or one of Meguiar`s compounds.

Polishes 3M Perfect-IT swirlmark remover or Meguiar`s #9 2.0

imported_Intel486
06-05-2002, 01:03 AM
Yes, a DA will help out a lot! I`m starting to believe my DeWalt DW433 orbital buffer can do everything my rotary can, it just takes a few little longer. I`ve already used it to remove sandpaper marks and that was with the yellow cutting pad and a medium cutting compound. I`m sure the wool pad would have speed things up greatly! See this thread for the colorsanding http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11253

For the heavy oxidation you should use a heavy cutting compound and you`ll be able to take that stuff right off. Don`t worry if you are leaving swirls or hazing the paint at this point. Next you will want to use a swirl remover because the heavy compound has probably hazed the paint. i.e. the paint has a foggy look to it kinda like a light oxidation.

If you will be claying the paint, then do it after the heavy cutting compound. I find that it is extremely difficult to clay heavily oxidized paint.