PDA

View Full Version : How do you reach that SUV roof?

Pages : [1] 2

94turboz28
06-03-2002, 05:51 PM
I`m about 5`4 and realize I need a step ladder or something. Is that what everyone basically uses? Even a step ladder I think I can`t reach the middle part of the roof. This is for an Expedition.

(My 7 year old tells me to go thru our sun roof). He kinda made a point... but....I don`t know... I don`t think so. :confused:

Bobby G
06-03-2002, 06:14 PM
Step stool?

Hire a pro?

A stick?

What you don`t see, doesn`t matter?

Actually, sounds like your son has the best idea.

Accordian
06-03-2002, 06:17 PM
Ott,

When I work on taller vehicles, I use a step ladder. I have two that I prefer. One has 4 steps with the fourth sort of a platform. Has a fold-out plastic tray where I can set things like bottles, applicators, etc. The other is my husband`s fiberglass folding ladder. I have to use this when working on the RV (about 11` tall). I can`t get the entire roof this way, but then that is what husbands are for, right? ;)

Another item that I like is a step that hooks over the tire. I think I got that at Top of the Line. I got that so I could clean the RV windows. Does a pretty decent job.

I haven`t gotten around to detailing the RV yet `cause it is hard to find a shadey spot (no shade where I park it). Once I get that taken care of, it will be me, my PC, and the Lazy Daze RV. I`m hoping that baby will really shine once I`m done with it! :D

C. Charles Hahn
06-03-2002, 07:05 PM
ladder for sure...... DavidB, I`m shocked you would even suggest that "what you dont see doesnt matter", because rust can still form up there from letting stuff just sit there..... :nono

Malibu
06-03-2002, 07:17 PM
How big of a stepladder are you using? I use a 6` ladder to get the top of my Explorer, and I usually don`t need to be any higher than the second step or so, but then again I`m 6`1". A 6` ladder should work for you just fine though I would think.

Mike

C. Charles Hahn
06-03-2002, 07:24 PM
Malibu: I`m 6`1" as well, and I use a ladder that the top step is even with the bottom edge of the windows on my S10 blazer, and I only reach the second step as well, and still have plenty of footing to work with a PC up on the roof.....

imported_capspackle
06-03-2002, 09:45 PM
Well, i am a short 5`6".. I have a pathfinder which has the nerf bars on the side. I step on those.. and for the areas i can`t reach, i just climb ontop of the tires, and stand on the tires. That gets me high enough to clean the entire roof.

06-03-2002, 09:52 PM
I am 6` 8", I use my legs :xyxthumbs . I used to stand on the tires, or just open the door and stand on the edge when i was shorter.:xyxthumbs

Turbonator
06-04-2002, 07:28 AM
hi ott, i`m only 5`3`` and i use a 5ft fiberglass stepladder that i bought from home depot. it had to be ordered `cuz it`s not a standard size - cost me $75. i use it for any SUV or truck or van i come across.:D

rtsiv
06-04-2002, 07:50 AM
When I had my Explorer, I would stand on the back bumper to get the back part of the roof, and stand in the door openings to get the front part. I`m 6`1".

94turboz28
06-04-2002, 09:49 AM
Thanks for everyone`s replies. I guess I`ll try those different things and see what`s best. I tried to stand on the edge with the door open and I could barely touch the middle. I`ll check out those stackable steps too.

I think I read somewhere that sells a mitt on a stick. Maybe I can use that for the roof to help.

DavidB... "What you don`t see, doesn`t matter?" lol. I like that one. :D

Finishing Touch
06-04-2002, 10:49 AM
I use a kitchen step stool. It has 3 steps and a high hand rail above the top step that allows me to stand on the top step and brace my knees on the rail. I guess this is important for old guys!

Doorman ;)

smfrycruzr
06-04-2002, 11:57 AM
i use the same as doorman...my Xtreme is low enough but my dad has a 4x4 and it requires a ladder...or stepstool

imported_JeffBruce
06-04-2002, 11:57 AM
Please....Get your wife /girlfriend to help..Have them cup there hands, bend over....put your foot in their hands and they will lift you up as you clean the roof. :) ...or if their legs are in good shape.... have them lay on the ground back first... legs/feet facing the sky.. and balance your feet on their feet...:)

ANyway...3 step ladder...

jeff

99323ic
06-04-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Gimp

My brother-in-law built me a box of sorts that`s 10" wide x 10" high and 4` long. It rolls on spring-loaded casters but when you put your weight on it, the casters settle up into the box so that the box is then on the ground where it will not move. The thing is great for getting the roof. Gimp - I was planning on building one just like this. Except I was going to make it 24" wide, 12" high and 8` long. How do the spring loaded casters work? Do you notice any movement on the platform when you`re on it?