PDA

View Full Version : BMW 325CiC incoming...

tom p.
06-03-2002, 10:48 AM
...and I am wondering what the best products are for maintaining the fabric convertible top? The car is orient blue with a black soft top.

This question has 3 parts:

What do people use for the weekly wash routine?

Are people using any sort of protectant?

What do people use to clean up problem spots like bird doodie, etc.?

this car will be a fair weather car only (oh no, not another one) and will be garaged at all times and not exposed to harsh conditions.

Thanks for your suggestions.

AD Qi
06-03-2002, 12:26 PM
Congrates on your new BMW. I have a 2001 Z3. Not only is it pleasure to drive, but you can go topless at the same time. ;)

I use a soap reccommended to my by the BMW dealership detailer. He uses Porche products. And I use a very soft bristle brush to clean my rag top. That brush is used only on the rag top. The material used on our tops is quality and an occassional cleaning will keep her looking good. Of course you need to watch for bird droppings and other stuff that will need immediate attention. Is your rear window plastic or glass? Mine is plastic. I use Meguiars #7 and #10 cleaner and polish for plastic windows. I like the results. Your new car will produce gases that will cloud up the rear window. So expect to clean it often to remove the film/grit/dust....etc. BTW my Z3 is Torqoise Blue w/Tan rag top.

tom p.
06-03-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by FredsZ3

I use a soap reccommended to me by the BMW dealership detailer. He uses Porche products. And I use a very soft bristle brush to clean my rag top.

Fred, you are using the Porsche product line for convertible tops??? Do you use this stuff at every wash? Where did you get your special "top-only" brush?

Originally posted by FredsZ3

Is your rear window plastic or glass? Mine is plastic.

I am 99% certaint that the window is glass. (This may sound strange but I have never been inside of the car or driven one. The boss actually ordered the car and I have had virtually no interaction on this particular deal. I hear it`s quite a nice machine.)

AD Qi
06-03-2002, 12:54 PM
Porshe is the brand name of the soap. Its a mild suddsy soap. It won`t harm the material according to the BMW detailer. I`m hoping he knows what he was talking about.

I don`t wash the rag top every time I wash the car. But I do hose the top with lots of water to rinse off the road dust and grim that is loose on the material. I started out washing the top once a month. I`ve backed off to once in three months. Just use your common sense. You know how dirty your car gets. Figure the top gets dirty too, and wash it accordingly.

Since yours is black, it won`t show the dirt like my Tan Top shows.

The soft bristle brush I use I got at an Auto Zone store. I`ve seen the same brushes at Target I believe. Target probably has the better price. Brush the bristle against your bare forearm. If it feels soft thats good, if its stiff, its to stiff for the rag top.

Also at Target is/was a great price on Meguiars Gold Car wash. Get the 64oz bottle. Look around this site you`ll see other references to washing and what soap to use. Meg is liked my many of the users here.

Brad B
06-03-2002, 03:18 PM
I have found Porsche brand Convertible Top Care shampoo to be one of the best. It cleans very well yet isn`t too harsh and doesn`t strip the heck out of the fibers like some cleaners tend to do. It has taken every dirt and stain problem I have thrown at it and done better than 3-4 other cleaners I have tried. I have attempted ithers and have gone back to this. I have even used this on other peoples cars following failed attempts with other brands and it has improved things tremendously. I`m sure Porsche doesn`t manufacture it but I don`t know who does. Good stuff.

Their waterproof protectant is fine as well but not as stand out in comparison to other brands. I use it too, but 3M (now getting hard to find) is close in quality and spraying ease.

:up

tom p.
06-03-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Brad B.

Their waterproof protectant is fine as well but not as stand out in comparison to other brands. I use it too, but 3M (now getting hard to find) is close in quality and spraying ease.

:up

Brad, thanks for helping out with the cleaning recommendations. I`ll get some of the "Porch" stuff ordered.

When you refer to the 3M product, do you mean their original ScothGuard product or something else.

We can still purchase the original product just anywhere out my way. In fact, I just purchased a new can on Friday.

Thanks again.