PDA

View Full Version : applied 3M SMR with a PC for the first time today...

MDLockard
06-02-2002, 09:29 PM
im new here guys

just had a question (and ive tried searching)

I wanna know when applying the 3M IHG how is it supposed to look ? I tried applying alot at low speed and the residue was white. I tried applying it at a higher speed the residue was almost see through similar like oil!

Also with up close inspection tiny micro scratches formed where I PCs. Will this go away when I use my polish-->wax? Im afraid to do the whole car now. Never take it up to speed 6? I think i will only use speed 2!

Im also using the white pad.

When I apply the polish/cleaner i should use the white pad as well right? then finally the WAX with the black pad. Ive searched and read alot but im still not 100% sure!

imported_Intel486
06-03-2002, 12:05 AM
3m IHG is a glaze with a mild polish. THe microscratches you saw are probably just the oil left behind by the glaze. Try buffing the area with a clean towel and see if they go away. If not, then waxing should get them off. Whenever I used 3m IHG I always applied it by hand and didn`t use an orbital.

99323ic
06-03-2002, 10:40 AM
ped-

With the SMR, I started my PC at "2" and as the petroleum smell starts, I went up to 6 and increased the pressure...as you work the material into the panel, it will break down and become powdery...when you start to see the gloss (and the "haze" goes away) you`re near the end. At this point I begin to lighten up the pressure as I continue to go over the panel and then do one last run or 2 with only the weight of the machine.

I`ve had good success with this technique, and very little residue...which comes off easily anyhow. Give it a try. It sounds like you are not working it in enough to get it to work properly.

Also, you mentioned that you are using a white pad...is it the one included with the Porter Cable (xxxxSP) kits or from CMA? If it`s not from CMA than the color can mean anything as they are not standardized. In other words, a white pad from CMA is most likely different than a white pad from 3M or Meguiar`s.

If you`re using the the pad included with the PC, I`d be very careful, as the backing plate is built in and if the pad rips or disintergrates, you could end up damaging your paint.

porterdog
06-03-2002, 12:26 PM
Ped, which product are you using? In your title you say SMR, but in the body of your post you say IHG. They are very different!

Robert

MDLockard
06-03-2002, 12:48 PM
sorryy about the confusion guys

i am using 3M SMR

and the pads are from the properautocare kit!

Im hoping this will clear anything up.

jimwh thansk for your pointers I will try again.. Im guessing i have to really work the product into the paint. I am scared to however especially at 6!

imported_doug
06-03-2002, 01:04 PM
Proper technique with SMR - you need to work it a lot - until it practically dissappears - to diminish the abrasives. Use speed 6. start out with firm pressure - gradually reduce until you are supporting half the weight f the orbital. Work it and work it until it is all but gone.

porterdog
06-03-2002, 06:00 PM
Although I don`t run it at 6 (I think it dries out too quickly at that speed) I think carguy is right- work it well and don`t be tentative. Remember that the abrasives are `diminishing`, so the chunks get smaller and smaller the longer you work the buffer on them. If you think about it this way, the longer you go the _less_ likely you are to wind up with damaged paint.

The paint on my Miata is really thin (I heard Mazda actually won some sort of environmental award for it:confused: ) and I found that it was really almost impossible to hurt it with a PC, yellow CMA pad, and 3M SMR. I was a little disappointed at the relative `weakness` of that combination! (and that`s only having used it for a day). When I did a BMW a couple weeks later, it took more applications of SMR to get the swirls out, I think because that paint is so much harder.

$0.02,

Robert