PDA

View Full Version : How does this combo sound?

thevolvoguy
06-01-2002, 07:12 PM
Alright Autopians... heres what I plan to do to my `94 Volvo 850 Turbo(dark red metallic)-

~Double DAWN wash

~Meguiar`s Quick Clay & QD on entire car

~Meguiar`s "ScratchX" on entire car to assist in removal of swirls

~Meguiar`s #9 2.0 Swirl Remover w/ PC

~Meguiar`s #7 (Show Car GLAZE) w/ PC

~P21S Wax(1 coat)

~Souveran Paste Wax(2 coats)

~Zaino Wax(2 coats)

~Finish w/ QD

Its gonna take a REALLY long time, but ive planned this and I think the final result will be... breathtaking. (It better be)

What do yall think? Ill add in a pic of my car right now (1 coat of Zymol cleaner wax...ehhh)

:cool:

smfrycruzr
06-01-2002, 07:38 PM
you know that Zaino will not bond to those other products right? skip that step partner. It will be breathtaking as you so put it. Leave that to the souveran.

imported_capspackle
06-01-2002, 07:43 PM
I totally agree.. If you have Z2 and Z5, you dont need the Wax.. wax will not bond to wax.. and Zaino will DEFINETLY not bond to wax. I would remove the Glaze, Pinnacle Wax, and P21S wax, and just put multiple layers of Z2/Z5 on the car. I have Z on my car right now, and it is incredible.. the shine is unbeatable.

everything else, such as claying and removing swirls is alright. However, i would wash the car after claying and aftter #9 to remove the fillers

thevolvoguy
06-01-2002, 07:45 PM
Thanks Dcopp & Pathfinder :wavey ... I probably would have kept aplying it over the Souveran until I noticed a difference or just ran out... lol

MikeLS
06-01-2002, 07:49 PM
DCopp is absolutely 110% correct. Applying Zaino over all those oils and silicones would be a mess to say the least. Most all true sealants, including Zaino, must be applied to a fresh oil and silicone free surface so they can properly form a bond with the paint and metal. This is why many use DAWN after they polsih out swirls before using Zaino. If you apply Z over those waxes and polishes, the Z will not be any more durable than the wax or polish underneath it. So, you should either use the polishes/waxes OR Zaino, but mixing both would seriously compromise your results.

imported_BretFraz
06-01-2002, 09:50 PM
Or a couple ideas.....

Why not divide the car in half and do one half with Zaino and the other with carnauba? Take a roll of masking tape and divide the car lengthwise, from license plate to license plate.

- - Or - - If you want to stick with the carnaubas, do one half with P21S and the other with Souveran. This will allow you to compare the two high-end carnaubas on the market.

You have lots of good stuff. Consider turning your car into a rolling test bed of car care products. That way you will know absolutely which products work best on your car and in your driving conditions.

chevyguy28
06-02-2002, 10:47 PM
If you want to use Zaino, try Bretfraz`s idea or skip it all together.

I disagree with Pathfinder strongly about washing after #9. The fillers is what you want to be underneath the carnuba wax. The #7 contains fillers as well, so washing would be undoing hard work! Don`t wash after #7 or #9!

Hopefully you will get good results using #9 and #7 with a PC. Though both can be used with a PC, my feeling is that they were desgined for use by hand. I remember seeing a post that #7 is better by hand, whereas 3M IMG is better by PC. Between the two, #9 is more likely to benefit by using a PC.

BTW, one coat of P21S followed by two of Souveran will crazy. Can you say depth?

Chuckmotor
06-03-2002, 09:17 AM
Justin is right, don`t Dawn wash after #7 or #9. You want those fillers if you are going to use carnauba.

Also, like these guys said, you can`t use Zaino after those carnauba waxes, so I would reccomend sticking with just the carnaubas (P21S and Souveran).

I, too, recomend using #7 by hand. It can be used by PC, but I believe the oils are better suited for hand.

However, I DO NOT recomend using #9 by hand if you own a PC. I`ve had amazing results with #9 and a PC, and the swirls will be easier to remove with a PC.

As for the suggestions to make your car "a rolling test bed," I think that could be a good idea if you`re just trying to compare two waxes, but it sounds like you want to best ultimate finish you can get, and for that reason, I would tell you to go ahead and layer those carnaubas on top of eachother. But no Zaino!!

Your car will look incredible with all those oils. I wish I had the time and patience to do that! Wow, it will look stunning! Good luck and have fun!

imported_Tony
06-03-2002, 10:11 AM
Wax does does not hold up very well in Houston during the summer. Use the wax only as a topper or From September through May. Evaluate your paint after you clay. Then decide if you need to use sctatch-X and #9/2. Then wash and use your Zaino for the poly protection. When September gets here and you want to test Souveran over Zanio, then have fun.