PDA

View Full Version : first paint shop visit ,suggestions please

imported_nihoole
05-30-2002, 01:49 PM
Going down the highway last week a re-tread off of a semi flew out from under the corvette in front of me and slammed into the front of my truck.It did not dent anything but scratched the bull bar (powder coat silver) and the left side of the front clip pretty deep.I took it to the paint shop and am going to have it painted next monday.

Can you guys give me some suggestions on keeping it clean and bug free until I can Zaino the new paint.If I am understand I should wait for 30 days.:mad: Thank you

Lemonxxs
05-30-2002, 02:10 PM
Park it???:D

How about one of them bug netty thingys? or that stuff intel talked about in a thread about bugs???

a4blur
05-31-2002, 07:06 PM
Todd: You really shouldn`t seal the paint for 90 days. The reason is not only to let the paint harden properly, but also to complete the gassing process. You want the gases to escape prior to sealing the paint.

HTH,

Harry.

jkochis
05-31-2002, 08:55 PM
Most important is your inspection of the paint job when they are done. I cant stress this enough. Ask them to show you the completed job in florescent lighting, or very bright lighting. Look at it from every angle. Anything wrong, be sure that they document it and agree to fix once the paint has hardened up some more (a week or so).

a4blur
05-31-2002, 09:07 PM
Most importantly, make sure the paint matches! I just went through a major nightmare with a silver car. They had to redo the entire job three times, and the colour still isn`t bang on :( There is pearl in the paint that really causes some weird effects, and makes it very hard to match. Finally got it computer matched... it`s close.. real close... but it`s also not the same.

Colour mismatched:

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=hyates&album_id=76927&image_id=0&courtesy=1

Colour computer matched:

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=hyates&album_id=76927&image_id=1&courtesy=1

Harry.

imported_nihoole
06-01-2002, 07:47 AM
Ok if I can`t seal it for 90 days can I still wash with Zaino car wash and then use the Z6 to wipe it down?The piece getting painted is all plastic.:confused:

a4blur
06-01-2002, 08:56 AM
Yup, go ahead and wash it. It`s best not to put anything on the new paint until after the 90 days. The bodyshop was pretty adament about that when we had our car repaired. They did say that it`s good to keep the new paint clean, but don`t let the water `spot`.

Harry.

imported_nihoole
06-02-2002, 08:36 AM
> Hi Sal,

> Just a quick question,I am having my front clip on a 2001 nissan repainted

> due to road hazard and wanted to now how long to wait before applying

> Z5-ZFX ?I only use your products on the painted areas and love them!The

> front clip is plastic and dark green.

There`s alot of misinformation about waiting three months for the paint to

cure.

I am a custom painter by trade. I am very familar with Dupont, PPG and

all the other paint manufacturers.

The most I personally would wait on fresh "aftermarket body shop" paint

before

polishing with Zaino Show Car Polish is 1 week. That`s more than sufficient

curing time.

Zaino contains no wax, silicones or abrasives.....

The new paints are catalyzed. A chemical reaction cures the paint. The

older lacquers and enamels needed time for the solvents to release. This

is not the case anymore. Believe me if that paint need 3 months to dry

than it will never dry.... Just the facts.

>

>

> Thanks for your great products and your time!!

This supprised me but Sal is very wise on these issues and his products.