PDA

View Full Version : VW Jetta manual says, "water-wash only"

Polere
05-29-2002, 07:01 PM
I`ve been studiying many threads here to determine which shampoo to use and had pretty much settled on P21S BCS for my new black Jetta (PBS is my first choice, but seems too $$$). I just checked the VW manual to see what the mfr recommends and they basically say to use water only. "Use a special car soap only for persistent dirt". Now I`m really confused. Any advice on what to do -- water only or a gentle shampoo? Thanks.

oorc51
05-29-2002, 07:11 PM
Hahs, no soap would defeat the purpose of a car wash wouldn`t it? You need soap to wash a car. Period. Plus I don`t like the idea of dragging a cotton chenelle mitt over the surface of the car without soap on it.

Polere
05-29-2002, 07:16 PM
Touche! But, to continue with what VW says...they say to "soften the dirt with water and wipe it off with a soft wash mitt or cloth" I definitely don`t want to scratch my paint, but I don`t want to remove my wax prematurely. I`m willing to wax once every 2 to 3 months.

oorc51
05-29-2002, 07:23 PM
Well, if I were you with your car, I`d wash it once a week, and wax every 3~4 washes (wax deteriates rather quickly). In between washes, I`d use a california car duster to clean up the light dust it might collect each day since black cars show dust/dirt really easily.

TurboCat
05-29-2002, 08:14 PM
:) I have a black Passat, and highly recommend the P21S products. I use the bodywork conditioning shampoo, polish and wax, as well as the wheel cleaner and they work great. They really do well on the black paint - my car is so shiny it looks wet when it is clean!

I recommend waxing every 3 months - I do it at the start of every season so it`s easy to remember. And use a good MF towel like the one they sell at Griot`s.

If you clean the wheels weekly with the wheel cleaner it will keep them clean. A lot of people here say the VWs are bad at building up brake dust and from experience I believe them! But washing them weekly keeps them clean.

I also use 303 Protectant Spray for the dash (since it has a matte finish). It is also good for the tires and rubber trim.

Just my .02 worth! :D

TurboCat
05-29-2002, 08:24 PM
P.S. I use a sheepskin mitt for washing the painted surfaces. If you rinse your car from the top down it will help to loosen up the dirt and muck. Then start at the top and wash your way down.

I also use a separate bucket of solution and a big sponge for washing the plastic and underneath areas of the car (bumpers, etc.). Those areas are more likely to have road gunk and grease on them and small bits of rock, etc. and you don`t want to get that on your mitt.

I have terry towels and finishing cloths for wiping down door jambs, around the trunk, etc. Then I throw them in the wash and then keep them in a bag with all my detailing cloths, ready for the next time.

If you rinse your car carefully, use good products and a good mitt, and a good mf towel, you will be taking good care of the painted surfaces. Don`t be afraid!

Polere
05-29-2002, 08:30 PM
Thanks so much for your .02! I`d say it was more like .03 or .04 :)

It looks like I`m going full-on P21S.

Do you wash weekly with it? If so, does your wax job hold up for the full 3-months?

TurboCat
05-29-2002, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I wash weekly with the P21S. I rarely skip a week.

The wax seems to hold pretty much for the 3 months. I would say I notice the reduction in wax on the hood more than any place else on the car. So I think this next time (I`m gonna go ahead and do my "summer" wax this weekend) I will reapply the wax on the hood and trunk perhaps monthly.

When you first wax, you`ll notice when wet you get nice tiny water beads. Once the beads get larger than a dime, I`d say it`s time to rewax.

I do keep my car in a garage at home, but at work it sits in a sunny parking lot so probably where your car sits will make a difference.

:xyxthumbs