PDA

View Full Version : 3M vs. Meguiars scratch removal products - What is better?

2002camry
05-29-2002, 06:15 PM
Hi,

I have 2 cars that have some nicks on the rear bumper and after applying some touch up paint, I want something that will take out the scratches (or at least hide them). I do not have pics of the areas that are damaged but the scratch is not deep and looks like it was scraped. The colors of the car are silver and beige. I think this is considered light color vehicles.

Can someone tell me the differences between the products and which is better. I was looking into the GS27 and Scratch X as well and that might help but not too sure what to use. :confused:

I would like to get an answer from the experts here and not the reps that sell the products since there would be a bias there.

Thanks!

:bounce

ALAN81
05-29-2002, 07:14 PM
LOVE SCRATCH X rub it in lightly on car scratch with your finger slowly............................................ ........................................... then let it dry and buff it out with a clean soft rag. Of course it the scratch is down to the paint there is nothing you can do!!!

Formulas
05-29-2002, 11:17 PM
When I use scratch X on the Porsche with a clean MF towel and rub with moderately heavy pressure I always seem to get additional scratches that I then need to remove with the #9 2.0 and the PC.

Maybe I`m doing something wrong but the black paint on the Porsche seems very soft and prone to scratches.

I`ve transitioned to #9 2.0 from 3M SMR and find it to be a very good and effective product. Just finished de-scratching the Porsche tonight for the second time (obsession?) and it really works quite well. Lighting really makes a huge impact on seeing what you`re after. I use a Home Depot dual halogens (500Wx2) on a tripod and find ot works real well. When the car look sgreat and scratch free under that brutal lighting it will be absolutely kick-a$$ under normal lighting.