PDA

View Full Version : Ugh...the never ending PC saga

Pages : [1] 2

Sirslap2
05-29-2002, 02:14 PM
OK. I have my PC 7424, have my counter weight on order, and picked up a W64DA backing plate and a few pads.

Problem now is I recall that the PC didn`t have a bolt in the mandrill (I am at work now) and I just picked up the backing plate and it doesn`t have a bolt either.

Sooooooooo......how do I go about attaching this puppy now?

If I have to get an adaptor bolt I am having visions of the backing plate flying off anf the bolt screeching across the finish on the car.

Help!:nixweiss

imported_Tony
05-29-2002, 02:31 PM
Does the W64DA have a nut in the backing plate? Locktite for studs maybe. I will be listening

Sirslap2
05-29-2002, 02:46 PM
I called Meguiars support line and thier rep said it is supposd to come with a bolt in the backing plate.

Either there is two versions or I just got hosed and will be returning the backing plate.

I hope all this effort will be worth it.:confused:

BradE
05-29-2002, 03:30 PM
Only rotary buffer backing plates come with a bolt. Plates for orbitals screw into the machine and are held in place buy the factory installed clamp style bolt, that`s why they give you a wrench.

Put on the new plate the same way you took the polishing head off.

Sirslap2
05-29-2002, 03:38 PM
Showroom,

I probably shouldn`t post until I get home to look at it (A type and too impatient) but I thought the 7424 pad had a bolt in it?

2wheelsx2
05-29-2002, 03:45 PM
Nope. No bolt. The center shaft of the PC screws into the pad, and there is a retaining nut which spins around and has to be held by the thin wrench they provide you with you that it butts up against the back of the pad.

imported_Indy YZF
05-29-2002, 03:49 PM
YOu can see here clearly there IS a bolt in the meguiars backing plate .

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/products/show_product.cfm?product=9502&cat=68

2wheelsx2
05-29-2002, 04:08 PM
Hmmm, interesting. I wonder how that works. I know for a fact that none of the pads have bolts.

laynlow
05-29-2002, 04:09 PM
Yep, I have a Meguiars backing plate with a bolt. The backing plate screws into the pc and the wrench they provide is to keep the shaft on the pc from spinning. I just place the wrench on the pc, spin the backplate on and tighten.

There are probably a variety of plates on the market. CMA, griots, meguiars, PC, ect.

PS, if anyone is interested I can take a picture and post when my new digital camera arrives! :D

2wheelsx2
05-29-2002, 04:12 PM
Cool. Thanks, Sam.

Sirslap2
05-29-2002, 06:47 PM
Sam,

I pic would be great.

Maybe I wasn`t clear but by bolt I meant a male end.

I got back to my car the package was actually a labeled as a W64 not a W64DA and clearly states for a rotary buffer on the packaging.

They gave me the wrong part- partly my fault for driving away and not checking.

I think paul e is right - so by bolt I meant male not female end and it does screw into the bolt on the PC.

Sorry Showroom but you will have to supply a pic to convince me otherwise.

The guy at Meguiars was right.

laynlow
05-29-2002, 06:54 PM
I can post a detailed picture on Friday. The link that was posted above shows the threaded stud, but it is difficult to see.

Sirslap2
05-29-2002, 07:09 PM
Sorry...I meant the bolt on the pad screws into the nut on the PC.

Then tighten the nut on the PC to secure.

BradE
05-29-2002, 07:47 PM
If you mean does the backing plate have a stud, then yes it does. I thought you ment a bolt that actually holds the plate to the spindle from underneath like a rotary buffer plate.

So yes, you backing plate should have a threaded stud on it.

laynlow
06-02-2002, 09:07 PM
Ok, I think we resolved this, but I promised a pic so here it is:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=312660