PDA

View Full Version : scratches caused by dog nails

turnipgreen
05-29-2002, 08:04 AM
I don`t have a digital camera or I would post pictures. I recently got two Redbone Coonhound puppies who sleep in my garage. For some reason they decided there was something in my truck they wanted to look at, and now I have scratches on the door and other side panels caused by them raring up on the truck then sliding down with their nails. The truck had 3 coats of Zaino Z5. I can`t feel the ones I`ve tried with my fingernail, but they are quite noticeable.

I did a search on "scratch removal". Seems like I should consider using 3M SMR as a first step. I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions (short of doing anything to my otherwise wonderful dogs) on an approach to take. I`ll have to do it by hand.

Lemonxxs
05-29-2002, 08:35 AM
Try the SMR first ... maybe two passes and look for improvement.

blackrex
05-29-2002, 10:37 AM
I`ve had this happen from a full grown Akita. No problem they buffed right out. I used some HD-Cleanse but any good paint cleaner or polish will probably work.

turnipgreen
05-29-2002, 10:58 AM
I`m assuming the SMR (or other light abrasives) will remove the Zaino from that section, correct? I figure I`ll need to follow up with a dawn wash in that area (or the whole car) then some more coats of Zaino. Can I just do the dawn wash on the sides, I hate to lose the 3 coats of Z5 I have on the hood and top. The 3rd coat really made it look good.

Lemonxxs
05-29-2002, 11:20 AM
you will lose the zaino...make a spray solution of Dawn and water....spray those areas and wipe.....then Qd with Z....and start those areas from scratch with Z1 or ZFX or do the entire car again.

HTH