PDA

View Full Version : New Car: Start with DAWN or Z7?

94turboz28
05-28-2002, 03:29 PM
I`ve been reading this forum now for 3 days. And BOY have I learned ALOT! I have my plans laid out already.. I just have to get all the stuff. ARggg $$$ (can`t wait though)

In any case, since this is a brand new truck, when I`m ready to do my first wash, do I start off with DAWN? Or just use Z-7? If I read correctly, use Dawn maybe 1-3 times a year. It`s just for stripping off wax. Is that right? Then stick with the regular washes? Just wondering if there`s any differences since the car is right off the lot. Any advice would help! Thanks!

OTT

imported_RIC
05-28-2002, 03:45 PM
Just use the Dawn wash one time. For the most part you should not really ever have to use Dawn again on the car.

Lemonxxs
05-28-2002, 04:06 PM
Dealers put wax and stuff on the cars to look good so do a dawn wash to remove the stuff so you can inspect the paint for swirls etc.

Good Luck & welcome to the forum:wavey

getfit74
05-28-2002, 04:22 PM
Guys,

Wouldnt you say it depends. If you are using the Zaino system, (which I guess you are if your washing with Z7) I would say yes, as it seems to be an important step in the Zaino process. If you are using anything else I would say no. Washing with Dawn or any other dish detergent is pretty harsh. Unless you have some real good reason, try and stay away from it. It will leach benificial and natural oils from your paint and that will take its toll over time. Most paint cleaners and preps do a good job of removing the silicone and filler laiden dealer preps. My favorite is Klasse All in One, its like magic in a bottle.

Anyone else agree?

Brad B
05-28-2002, 04:50 PM
It`s not all that scary. Even Sal Zaino recommends it. It`s just a high alkaline product that will not harm paint but will remove old waxes and sealants. Don`t fret it.

All in One or a paint cleanser polish is WAY too much work, totally overkill, just to remove film or wax assuming the finish is perfect in every other way.

2wheelsx2
05-28-2002, 05:12 PM
Brad, if that`s the case, when would you use a paint cleanser, if ever? If there are contaminants, we use clay. If swirls, we use SMR. Just wondering, as I used to sweat through the per-wax cleaners when I used 3 stage waxes.

getfit74
05-28-2002, 05:43 PM
Any dish washing detergent will leach natural oils from your paint, no wax or polish will replace these. (if I can find the article I read this in, I`ll link it) AIO is really easy to use and I since I`m not interested in saving the 10-15 minutes it takes to apply it`s a safe bet with oustanding results. I guess if I were detailing someone elses car and needed to save time I would consider it, but not on my baby....

Here is a quick blurb I found on a search through yahoo.com

"Washing your vehicle is the most effective way of preventing permanent damage. Most vehicles require washing two or three times a month. Washing in small sections from the top down while rinsing frequently prevents spotting. Executive Clean Car uses a mild car wash with a neutral pH. We never use detergent-based commercial car wash products since they accelerate the oxidation process. Oxidation, a dulling of your vehicle`s finish, occurs when paint loses its natural oils. Harsh soaps, like dishwashing liquid, are designed to remove grease; but they also remove desireable substances, like wax, sealant, and natural feeder oils from the paint . "

buldog
05-28-2002, 06:33 PM
Even though the car is off the lot , it still had to get there. On a train or transport, i`m sure it was rained on, wind blowing dirt and such and brake dust. One way or another it is best to clean of any manufacturing dirt, oils and transportation gunk before you start.

I don`t think it is necessary to dawn wash 2-3 times a year. That maybe harmful as mentioned earlier but a dawn wash when first starting out or changing waxes would be a good idea.

94turboz28
05-28-2002, 06:58 PM
Thanks for everyone`s replies. I`ll go on ahead and start off with the Dawn wash. Makes sense that the vehicle went through stuff during it`s destination trip. Overall, it wouldn`t hurt. From there I`ll do the regular washes.

OTT :D

Brad B
05-28-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Brad, if that`s the case, when would you use a paint cleanser, if ever? If there are contaminants, we use clay. If swirls, we use SMR. Just wondering, as I used to sweat through the per-wax cleaners when I used 3 stage waxes.

Paint cleansers are great for removing fine hazing, sometimes light mars and old waxes and dirt. It depends on the brand and makeup of the product. Most are heavy in solvents. Some have trace amounts of abrasives in them.