PDA

View Full Version : Strange claying alternative I just heard...

shaf
05-28-2002, 12:13 PM
Instead of going over the whole car with clay, this guy washed, dried, then used Goo Gone over the whole car, then washed again and spot clayed.

Claimed this is quicker and works:confused:

A4 No More
05-28-2002, 02:34 PM
I thought the directions on Goo Gone said not to use on painted surfaces?

2wheelsx2
05-28-2002, 02:47 PM
I think the directions say to not leave on painted surfaces for extended periods, and to test on a discreet spot first. I have used on painted surfaces no problem, but I wipe it off pretty quickly.

porterdog
05-28-2002, 04:19 PM
I can`t comment on the relative safety of goo-gone, but it`s a solvent-based approach while clay is mechanical. Both have their place, but I think that any solvent buff enough to pop a small piece of embedded metal out of my paint is too strong for me to use :) . Truly, I can`t imagine any solvent working like clay does.

Cheers,

Robert

2wheelsx2
05-28-2002, 04:21 PM
Oh sorry, I didn`t mean I used it for contaminants. I just used it to remove goo left over from adhesives stuck to paint.

imported_BretFraz
05-28-2002, 10:48 PM
It`s probably not a horrible thing to use Goo Gone as a contaminent remover. I mean, most any kind of surface crud has got to be dissolvable somehow, right?

If I were interested in doing this, I`d think something like Prepsol or a body shop surface prep product would do the same thing.

I don`t think it`s much of a time saver. Maybe 10-15 minutes.

porterdog
05-29-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Oh sorry, I didn`t mean I used it for contaminants. I just used it to remove goo left over from adhesives stuck to paint.

Ooooooooh! You mean for removing goo! Perfectly clear now, thanks!

rstype
05-29-2002, 05:52 PM
For removing goo, that sounds like a good way- better than clay which will smear and spread the goo. Clay is best suited for removing the "tops" of airborne contamination for that temporary slick feeling.

The only good claying alternative, that I can think of, is the AutoInt ABC system which is supposed to completely remove the contaminant...