PDA

View Full Version : 93 Red Mustang. No Clearcoat??????

fhmac
05-28-2002, 11:39 AM
I have a `93 Red Mustang GT convertible that I am preparing to do a major detail job on. I plan on going with the Zaino system after I clay and cleanse the paint. However I noticed that when using a cleaner wax previously that my paint turns the rags red. Does this mean that my car definately doesn`t have a clear coat? It is the original paint job, and I guess I figured that a `93 would be new enough to have a clear coat.

Any recommendations for a paint cleaner? Also, do I have to get the Z-3 since it doesn`t have the clearcoat or will the Z2 that I already have work?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Lemonxxs
05-28-2002, 11:56 AM
If the rag is the color of the paint when using paint cleaners I say yuppers no clearcoat.

Heck try Z2 and see what happens...if Z5 works on non clear why not just use Z5 in lieu of buying Z3??

Turbonator
05-28-2002, 06:45 PM
if you need the Z-3 and you`re in louisiana(i`m guessing from LSUTIGER), you can HAVE - Yes HAVE! mine. never been used. the car i bought it for is no longer in the family so now it`s just collecting dust. btw, so is the rest of my Z collection - for now.:D

McMustang
05-29-2002, 07:10 AM
Your 93 Mustang DOES have a clear coat. It was in 1991 that Ford started the clear coat on the Mustang. Hope this helps.

-David

imported_BretFraz
05-29-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by McMustang

Your 93 Mustang DOES have a clear coat. It was in 1991 that Ford started the clear coat on the Mustang. Hope this helps.

-David

That`s true only with metallics. Single stage processes were used on solid colors. The fact that he is getting paint residue on his rags will tell you that`s its a single stage (non clearcoat) paint job.

I`ve detailed dozens of late 80s/early 90s Mustangs when I owned one and was a member of a couple Mustang clubs (incl MCA). Every solid color Mustang I detailed had a single stage paint job.