PDA

View Full Version : Scaly Buildup on Lugs - Any Ideas?

imported_sammy
05-27-2002, 08:47 PM
Greetings all,

I have a special set of lugs on my Grand Prix. Without getting into too much detail, they are NOT chrome, but some sort of polished steel, and are needed for my wheels to fit safely and properly.

Over the past few months, a scaly substance has built up on them. Here is a pic:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kj99gt/share/lugs.JPG

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kj99gt/share/lugs3.JPG

I believe this was due to the use of Eagle One A2Z all-wheel cleaner and the "lack" of finish on the lugs themselves.

I am now using the "new" formulation of A2Z, and so I can`t say if that is the problem for sure, but, I`d like to prevent it from happening again.

I am looking for ways to clean the lugs, and/or polish the metal, and/or paint them (black).

Any ideas would be appreciated,

-kj-

thecarguyGP97
05-27-2002, 08:51 PM
Hey kj! Nice to see you`ve come over from Club GP! Sorry, i don`t have an answer for your Q, just wanted to give you a nice welcome! Good luck w/ your question!

imported_sammy
05-27-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by thecarguyGP97

Hey kj! Nice to see you`ve come over from Club GP! Sorry, i don`t have an answer for your Q, just wanted to give you a nice welcome! Good luck w/ your question!

Thanks a bunch! Between the GP nuts on "our" site, and these guys, think of the knowledge available to tap into! YEEEEEEE HAAAAWWWWW!!!

thecarguyGP97
05-27-2002, 09:12 PM
Yea when i first stumbled across this site, it almost blew me away! I just didn`t know where to start! I just started reading and reading and have been doing that for about 2 months now and i`m still learning new things!

KR CoolShine
05-27-2002, 09:15 PM
I can tell you what it is -- but not how to fix it. I will defer to someone with a bit more experience than I have.

What you see is aluminum oxide -- or in other words, "rusty" aluminum.

Jademonkey
05-27-2002, 09:15 PM
Can the scaly substance be scratched off(fingernail etc?)

imported_sammy
05-27-2002, 09:20 PM
No, that`s the weird part, it`s almost part of the metal surface...

2k2blackWRX
05-27-2002, 09:47 PM
possibly using some kind of fine steel wool would work, or a brillo pad if your desperate.

I duno?!?!

B

imported_sammy
05-28-2002, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by 2k2blackWRX

possibly using some kind of fine steel wool would work, or a brillo pad if your desperate.

I duno?!?!

B

Removing it would be easy enough theoretically, I want to prevent it from coming back...

Any ideas for refinishing (painting) the lugs?

-kj-

getfit74
05-28-2002, 08:41 AM
Looks like the cleaner etched itself into the metal. Try a buffing/polish wheel (like the kind you put on a bench grinder) with some light polishing compound. After that seal them with some "clear coat" touch up spray.

ALAN81
05-28-2002, 09:39 AM
Are you saying eagle A-Z cleaner is bad for the aluminum wheels?

getfit74
05-28-2002, 12:41 PM
No I`m saying it looks like the cleaner etched the lugs. The chemicals had some reaction with the metal or something that was on the surface of the metal. I wouldnt use it again if it were my car and cleaner. It looks like the wheels are fine so, no I`m not saying its bad for the wheels, Are you?