PDA

View Full Version : Boiling water ??

bbquer
05-27-2002, 01:11 PM
Anyone knows what will happen to car paint if boiling water was poured onto it ?

I didn`t do it.. i was just wondering :)

shaf
05-27-2002, 02:08 PM
Well, I know my dad once, long ago, deluged his `71 Cutlass with a bucket of cold water when it was hot and sitting in the sun, and it must have cracked or crazed the paint all over it.

(ahem)

"...and WOOSH, the paint all turned dull and flat on the hood."

(He knows better now :D) Although this is with old old single stage paint, I`d imagine something similar would happen, depending on the relative temperatures of the panel and water. Do this in Alaska and you`d probably crack the panel. Do this in the Arizona desert at high noon and maybe nothing will happen.... just my guess.

MicroRacer
05-27-2002, 02:50 PM
Hey Irvin, I don`t know about the boiling water...I`ve never had any desire to pour hot water on my vehicle....but if you`re ever down south with your "yellow roadster".........well you catch my drift.

HAPPINESS IS BEING BLOWN:D

ATI 9lb of BOOST:xyxthumbs

imported_Intel486
05-27-2002, 04:03 PM
It depends on the difference between the water temp and the surface temp. You will probably damage your paint if it is cold and you pour hot water on it. You probably won`t damage it if your paint is hot and you pour hot water on it.

Hot water on cold paint is like putting an ice cube in hot water. You know how the ice likes to crack?