PDA

View Full Version : Insufficient Zaino Prep?

kobe
05-27-2002, 07:54 AM
Yesterday I went to a self-serve car wash -- finally found one in my area. This was the first time the car was washed since I picked it up new about 3 weeks ago. I have a few questions I would appreciate your expert comments on.

1. In preparing for the Zaino I first attempted to do a Dawn wash, however, I am not sure that I put in enough Dawn, also in filling the bucket, some of the wash bay`s pink car wash soap mixed in with the Dawn. Got a lot of suds. Do you think that this will be a problem for the Zaino`s?

2. I did not have time to clay the car and noticed that there appeared to be some sort of "mud" specks on the front and back of the mirrors that did not come off with the wash. This does come off if I flick it with my fingernail though. I then applied Zaino on it because of the lack of time and that the rest of the car needed it. Will I be able to remove these specks latter easily even after I put 2 layers of Zaino on it? If so, what would be your recommendations on how to do it?

3. When the drought restrictions in NJ finally let up, I would like to do a more thorough detail, including claying, etc. Given that I already applied Zaino to a hopefully adequately Dawned car, what would be the best way to restart or prep?

4. Finally, as I was applying the last Z6 wipe down, I noticed that some sort of unit above the car (pressure wash? airconditioner?) dripped a spot fo green fluid like radiator fluid on the top of the car. I wiped it off and continued to wipe the car with Z6 trying to avoid using that part of the cloth that I wiped the spot with, although I may not have been too successful. In retrospect, dumb move on my part. Foresee any problems?

Car looks pretty good, although there is a little streaking on the hood, which I understand will go away in time with some Z7 wash. I just wanted to put some protection down as quick as possible until I have more time to do a proper detail. So, how badly did I mess up?

HellrotCi
05-27-2002, 11:01 AM
Insufficient Zaino Prep

In a nutshell, Yes. Prep work is the most important step in detailing your car, especially with Zaino. Did you waste your time, no, because you learned a few things about using Zaino.

Anyway, here`s my spill. I don`t know if you were just excited about using Zaino on your new car or worried about protecting you new car`s finish. You could have gone months w/o doing anything but washing your car and it would still look great after a proper detailing job.

If the only place you can use to try and detail your car is a carwash you might want to consider buying a California Water Blade, a big cotton towel or a big microfiber towel to blot up the excess water, some QD(Z7) and a microfiber towel for the wipe down. This will give you good results until you have more time and a better location for detailing.

I wiped it off and continued to wipe the car with Z6 trying to avoid using that part of the cloth that I wiped the spot with, although I may not have been too successful.

Here`s a lesson learned. Bring multiple towels/wipe down cloths in case something like this happens or you drop one on the ground. The green fluid that dropped on your roof is could have been wheel cleaner but what ever it was don`t expect any long term problems because of it.

So, how badly did I mess up?

You didn`t, you just need to give yourself more time to do a proper job. Enjoy your new car, buy the detailing book from Autopia(it`s on sale now) and learn what you can to make your Bimmer shine better than new.

imported_Intermezzo
05-29-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by bsm325xi

1. In preparing for the Zaino I first attempted to do a Dawn wash, however, I am not sure that I put in enough Dawn, also in filling the bucket, some of the wash bay`s pink car wash soap mixed in with the Dawn. Got a lot of suds. Do you think that this will be a problem for the Zaino`s?

It doesn`t take that much dawn to cut through any wax you might have on your car. It shouldn`t be a problem. To avoid getting any of the pink wash soap in your bucket, bring your own water. That’s what I do. Or maybe you might want to spray down your car first to get all the residual pink wash soap out before filling up your bucket. I normally fill up an empty arrowhead water bottle, cap it, and bring it with me to the coin-op wash. I pour a little Z-7 into a bucket and follow that up with the water from the arrowhead bottle and I get some pretty good suds.

2. I did not have time to clay the car and noticed that there appeared to be some sort of "mud" specks on the front and back of the mirrors that did not come off with the wash. This does come off if I flick it with my fingernail though. I then applied Zaino on it because of the lack of time and that the rest of the car needed it. Will I be able to remove these specks latter easily even after I put 2 layers of Zaino on it? If so, what would be your recommendations on how to do it?

Skipping the clay step will really compromise your final results if there were any embedded contaminants on your car. Did you do the baggie-test?

As for the specks, you shouldn`t have any problems removing them even after you`ve `sealed` them in with Zaino. It`s hard to say how you should remove them without actually seeing it. Clay should remove them, but if the specks are a bit large, it might also scratch your paint.

3. When the drought restrictions in NJ finally let up, I would like to do a more thorough detail, including claying, etc. Given that I already applied Zaino to a hopefully adequately Dawned car, what would be the best way to restart or prep?

After washing & claying, inspect your car for any surface imperfections (like swirls or scratches). Do a search on the forum for the best polishes and techniques to deal with any surface imperfections you encounter. If you end up polishing your car, do a Dawn wash before Zaino-ing to remove oils left from the polish. If you just clay and DON`T polish your car, just do a Z-7 wash and then start layering away with Z-2/Z-5.

4. Finally, as I was applying the last Z6 wipe down, I noticed that some sort of unit above the car (pressure wash? airconditioner?) dripped a spot fo green fluid like radiator fluid on the top of the car. I wiped it off and continued to wipe the car with Z6 trying to avoid using that part of the cloth that I wiped the spot with, although I may not have been too successful. In retrospect, dumb move on my part. Foresee any problems?

Yikes. I can’t say that I know how that will affect your car’s paint. If it was only a drop, then I’d say no big deal. Also, stock up on detailing towels….whether you are using cotton towels or MF towels, get plenty of them. You probably shouldn’t have continued using the same towel on your car after wiping off that green stuff.

I think HellrotCi really nailed it on the head. Surface prep is the most important step in preparing your car for a great shine, even with a new car. This is especially true with a product like Zaino. Take your time, plan out your schedule. If it all seems too overwhelming, consider prepping & Zaino-ing your car over the course of a few days…perhaps the entire weekend.

HTH

kobe
05-29-2002, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the advice. I do intend to spend a weekend to clay and so on, it was just that the car needed a wash and some protection before NJ lifts the drought restrictions.

At any rate, the "green fluid" was just a drop and I already had a coat of Zaino on the car.