PDA

View Full Version : Applying wax.........

imported_Erik Mejia
05-25-2002, 05:00 PM
Today, after finishing waxing my car, I was thinking about the other thread (Post little things youテざve learned)(I tried lots of them today!) and was wondering if you had any special tips on applying wax, a buffing off.....

For me, I like to use some microfiber covered applicator....really damp...then I put the wax on it, and buff off using old T shirts....and after that, I use some damp T shirt, it gives out even more shine.......I have found that depending on the wax I am using, this techique works better....and also found that if I spray the applicator with some QD, i will get stains if i use 3M perfect it show car paste wax....

What tips have you all got?

Also, has anyone got any tips for cleaning the edges of the sunroof when opened (the painted part), it gets full of dirt, and its hard to get water from the hose in there without filling up your interior with water......

oorc51
05-25-2002, 05:25 PM
Old T-shirts? uhhh...Maybe for the wheels and tires, yeah. But for the paint? no way! For me, nothing touches the car unless its microfiber.

Redcar GUY
05-25-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Mugenman

For me, I like to use some microfiber covered applicator....really damp...then I put the wax on it, and buff off using old T shirts....and after that, I use some damp T shirt, it gives out even more shine.......I have found that depending on the wax I am using, this techique works better....and also found that if I spray the applicator with some QD, i will get stains if i use 3M perfect it show car paste wax....

What tips have you all got?

NO T SHIRTS! buy some MF`s you will be much better off!

Also, has anyone got any tips for cleaning the edges of the sunroof when opened (the painted part), it gets full of dirt, and its hard to get water from the hose in there without filling up your interior with water......

wet a MF and try to wipe off the dirt, also might trying to spray with a QD to get it really wet before wipeing

:wavey

imported_doug
05-25-2002, 06:04 PM
One thing everyone should try is applying wax with your fingers. Do this ONLY if you`re using a non-abrasive, carnauba paste wax. I only do it if I`m doing a small area because it slows you down and it is hard not to use too much wax, but I have done entire cars this way. It giv es you great control, and if you ever encounter a piece of grit you``ll know it right away, so it is probably the safest method.

imported_Erik Mejia
05-25-2002, 06:52 PM
About the Tshirts, I dont know, itテざs the best Iテざve tried, I cannot get microfiber towels in my country, and cannot get from the US right now due to currency, and the car looks reaaly good, Iテざve been able to achieve a swirl free finish.....I am talking good quality, 100% cotton t shirts........cut down, without the sleeves nor the neck....

As far as applying with the hand.....it is good, but takes lots of pacience :eek: and it is very hard for me to go thin, I end up using a lot, and it is a pain to remove then.....

2k2blackWRX
05-25-2002, 08:45 PM
wanna vclue us in about what country?

Bryan

imported_Erik Mejia
05-25-2002, 11:11 PM
ohh sorry

I am from Argentina

There arent many detailing freaks down here, so itテざs hard to get supplies locally.....

buldog
05-26-2002, 03:13 AM
If you cannot get MF`s than I would suggest 100% cotton towels to buff off & to dry after a wash. I have a selection now that:

A) Only used on painted surfaces.

B) Used for inside door jams, trunk.

C) Glass amd mirrors.

D) Tires

E) Wheels

F) Buffing

Every towel has been cut up to a specific size and colour so that they are easy to identify.

imported_doug
05-26-2002, 09:11 AM

About the Tshirts, I dont know, itテざs the best Iテざve tried, I cannot get microfiber towels in my country, and cannot get from the US right now due to currency, and the car looks reaaly good, Iテざve been able to achieve a swirl free finish.....I am talking good quality, 100% cotton t shirts........cut down, without the sleeves nor the neck....

As far as applying with the hand.....it is good, but takes lots of pacience :eek: and it is very hard for me to go thin, I end up using a lot, and it is a pain to remove then.....

If you can`t get MF, 100% cotton T-shirts are fine as long as you get rid of any doubled up seams like neck and arm holes. The bad thing about them is that they don`t provide anywhere for collected grit to hide - so make sure you use very clean material and use a different section of the cloth after only a few passes.

Towels don`t scratch paint. Dirt scratches paint. Towels differ more in their ability to collect/remove material (be it water, dirt or compound residue) from the surface. This is where MF works the best, because it does the job with the smallest amount of passes.

MicroRacer
05-26-2002, 10:27 AM
Can`t get micro fibers? 100% terry towels. NO T-shirts:nono

PEACE

imported_Erik Mejia
05-26-2002, 12:31 PM
I dont know, Iテざve tried lots of towels, and got swirls, Iテざve then found out that most of them had some nylon in them (the burn test....)

I will try with some other brands of towels.....Iテざll let you know......

BTW, any other tips??? :xyxthumbs

ALS2000
05-26-2002, 02:46 PM
Has anyone tried using cloth diapers???

http://www.s2000atlanta.com/gallery/Photos/AlS2000/my_s2000_photos/exterior/image009_a.jpg

imported_Erik Mejia
05-28-2002, 09:07 PM
Some other questions:

Is it ok to damp the applicator a little bit?

How do you put liquid and cream waxes on the applicator? one dab in the middle or an X or I pattern?

I cant find the right techique to go thiiinnnn! :eek:

jerry@robs
05-29-2002, 03:04 AM
Mugenman: I`m not from the US either... Why don`t you head to your nearest department store and go to the bath section, i`m sure you`ll be able to find 100% cotton towels there... That`s where I get mine, there aren`t a lot of shops that sells good detailing items here either.

99323ic
05-29-2002, 06:31 AM

ohh sorry

I am from Argentina

There arent many detailing freaks down here, so itテざs hard to get supplies locally..... Mugenman - Once Argentina gets its economy straight and you can purchase things again, I can have my wife ship them to you. She is a Freight Forwarder and ships to Argentina frequently. We also have close friends that are Argentine and they travel there several times a year. Just let me know if you`d like to do that...I`d be glad to help.

And Welcome to Autopia!!