PDA

View Full Version : Keeping rims shiny and free from contamination

2002camry
05-25-2002, 04:29 PM
HI,

I currently use Simoniz Rim Cleaner whenever I notice the rims getting dirty. Generally every 2 weeks. My fear is that it it will slowly remove the glit and shine from the rims.

Can someone suggest some products that are available to Torontonians that I can apply to keep the rims shiny and not have the brake dust and other crap stick to it?

Thanks,

:bounce

MikeLS
05-25-2002, 04:47 PM
like Zaino or NuFinish works great for me. I`ve recently started using NuFinish for the wheels only and it seems to do a really great job. Using a sealant on the wheels doesn`t necessarily retard all dust buildup, but it sure helps making wheel cleaning easier because it seems that the dust doesn`t bond to the surface. Usually a simple wipe down is all that`s required for cleaning, no harsh chemicals...

:xyxthumbs

Jngrbrdman
05-25-2002, 05:03 PM
You could always put a layer of Klasse on the rims. That seems to help the problem. I know that it isn`t availible on the shelf in Canada but Tim at www.tacscar.com has been known to ship to Canada.

I use Eagle A to Z wheel cleaner. It has been great at protecting the wheels. I`ve noticed that it`s eaiser to keep them clean since I started using it.

imported_Tony
05-26-2002, 04:21 AM
I have a PT Cruiser that has a brake dust problem. I posted the question on a Cruiser forum and received several replies that suggested windex did wonders. I have not use the windex on my chrome rims but I plan to give it a try.

good luck

jfeliot
05-26-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by 2002camry

HI,

I currently use Simoniz Rim Cleaner whenever I notice the rims getting dirty. Generally every 2 weeks. My fear is that it it will slowly remove the glit and shine from the rims.

Can someone suggest some products that are available to Torontonians that I can apply to keep the rims shiny and not have the brake dust and other crap stick to it?

Thanks,

:bounce

I use Megs Extra All Surface cleaner on my rims & tires with good results. It`s milder than rim cleaner (according to Megs) & will lift the stains out of the pores of the rims with a little brushing.

Available from Canadian Tire for $9.00/ 16 oz bottle.

For protection, try a synthetic like Mike suggests, most of the brake dust will come off with a wash. I`m using Zaino & it seems to be working great.

samiam513
05-26-2002, 03:38 PM
Next time you hear your brakes squeal go to the dealer and ask for DUSTLESS brake pads. They have them. They don`t let off as muchdust so the rims stay cleaner.