PDA

View Full Version : Wax Beading vs. Polymer Sheeting action - which is better?

2002camry
05-25-2002, 04:15 PM
When one applys a coat of Carnauba wax, you see the water beading on the hood. On some Polymer coatings, you get a sheeting action instead.

I think the sheeting is actually better since you don`t get the water spots.

Does the Meguiars Polymer #20 coating provide the sheeting action? If so, what would be the best way to protect my cars in order:

1) Scratch X for the cars

2) Polymer #20

3) Glaze #7

I want to get a show car shine and long protection (3 months)

The more I think about this stuff the more :confused: I get.

:nixweiss

C. Charles Hahn
05-25-2002, 08:02 PM
First, let me say that Scratch X and #7 do not have any protection abilities. Also, nither will help you a great deal when using #20...... they both are taken right back off the surface by the cleaners and polishes in the #20.

for reference, #20 beads water, it does not sheet. The sheeting action is only achieved by Klasse, I believe (I have not worked with Klasse personally)...... I find there is no problem with beading, as long as you remember to rinse the vehicle after any rainstorms and dry thouroughly after washing.

polymer will definitely give you adequate shine..... you just have to decide which you like.

Here`s the same vehicle (my daily driver) wearing #20:

http://www.fbody.com/members/slpcarluvr/blazer14.JPG

and Zaino Z5 (3 coats with ZFX):

http://www.fbody.com/members/slpcarluvr/PICT0002.jpg

2002camry
05-25-2002, 08:11 PM
The product that I have used in the past is Durashine. It is a Polymer wax that you apply with a sponge and then hose it off. I find that it sheets the water very well and lasts a long time.

Since it is a product that most people frown on and it tends to dull the paint after some time, I want to go the Meguiars route.

I was planning on using the Scratch x to fill the scratches and then the Show car Glaze #7 followed by a coat of the High Tech Yellow #26.

Is this a good way to get the shine and long lasting protection, or should I try something else. Klasse gets to be too expensive when I get it delivered to Toronto and takes 4 to 6 weeks as well.

C. Charles Hahn
05-25-2002, 08:57 PM
#26 is good protection, when properly cared for and kept up it can last for 2, maybe 3 months on a coat. How bad of scratches do you really have on the car right now?? if they aren`t bad, I would try polishing them out with an abrasive such as 3M SMR or #9 2.0, then use the #20 to seal. The #20 lasts me 4-5 months easy in the Michigan winters....

2002camry
05-25-2002, 09:02 PM
Is #9 2.0 the same level as Scratch X?

The scratches are VERY light.

So you are saying that Scratch X or #9 followed by #20 is ok?

Also, how is the shine going this route as opposed to #7 and #26?

C. Charles Hahn
05-25-2002, 09:42 PM
I don`t particularly care for ScratchX..... it doesn`t seem that effective to me....

#9 2.0 is a little bit more abrasive than ScratchX, it will definitely take care of your scratches....

the shine is compairable between #7/#26 and #20, very small difference if any at all IMHO. I would say it all depends on how often you want to wax/seal your car, as both products are extremely easy to work with, just that #20 lasts twice as long.

good luck!

rstype
05-25-2002, 10:53 PM
Hello! You have a few choices on how to use the Meguiar`s products noted. Most of us would skip the #7 glaze, and choose either...

a.) Scratch-X/Meguiars SMR 2.0 and #26

b.) Scratch-X/Meguiars SMR 2.0 and #20

c.) Scratch-X/Meguiars SMR 2.0 and #20, topped with #26

Meguiar`s Scratch-X is more abrasive than their SMR; the latter nearly borders the line of being "non-abrasive." This is according to a recent Autopia thread by carguy... he emailed a Meguiar`s rep.

Good luck!

~bw

2002camry
05-26-2002, 05:47 AM
It seems like #9 SMR 2.0 is ideally applied by an orbital or dual action polisher. Some people say that you can apply this by hand.

Perhaps the ideal way would be to use the ScratchX and then #20.

Or use Scratch X then AIO and then SG? :confused:

Lenny
05-26-2002, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by SLPCar Luvr

#26 is good protection, when properly cared for and kept up it can last for 2, maybe 3 months on a coat. How bad of scratches do you really have on the car right now?? if they aren`t bad, I would try polishing them out with an abrasive such as 3M SMR or #9 2.0, then use the #20 to seal. The #20 lasts me 4-5 months easy in the Michigan winters....

I second SLPCar Luvr comment`s about No. 20 lasting 4 to 5 months in Michigan winters (and we use LOTS of salt around here in winter...).

I`ll also second the comments about using #9 SMR 2.0 to polish out the scratches and then use the No. 20 to seal. I wouldn`t follow with the #7 Glaze. I think you`ld be better off using the #26 as a topper.

You may want to apply a coat of No. 20, and then let it sit for at least 20 minutes before buffing it off. Seems to increase it`s durability a bit. Then wait a day, and apply the No. 26 as a topper. I`ve got really good results that way.

2002camry
05-26-2002, 07:08 AM
How is the durability and shine of Meguiar`s No. 20 Polymer Sealant, Meguiars No. 26 Paste Wax for protection compared to Klasse?