PDA

View Full Version : Fresh spilled coffee

99323ic
05-25-2002, 09:32 AM
I just had coffee spilled in my car (thankfully only on the floor mat). Any recommendations on how best to clean it?

I have both EF Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner and Resolve Carpet Cleaner (powder & brush).

Just FYI, the coffee was with cream and sugar.

99323ic
05-25-2002, 08:58 PM
((BUMP))

Anyone??

My search turned up nothing specific, but I probably didn`t get the search terms the right way and yielded nothing concrete.

Jngrbrdman
05-25-2002, 09:08 PM
Have you tried Prestone carpet cleaner? I know that it gets soda stains out like a champ. I would highly recommend it. Another product that I`ve fallen in love with recently is Advanage (http://www.advanage.com). It can be diluted down to clean just about anything. I used it again yesterday on some pretty dark stains on grey carpet and was astounded at how well they came out. Very good stuff. Well worth the investment of 33 bucks for a 32 oz bottle. It makes an amazing glass cleaner too. I like it better than even invisible glass.

imported_capspackle
05-25-2002, 09:40 PM
I suggest you try the following method.. not sure if it`ll work on the coffee, but you never know:

Tide/Oxiclean mixture a success!! (http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10504&highlight=OxiClean)

YoungDetailer
05-27-2002, 08:42 PM
and don`t forget to sue McDonald`s while you`re at it! :p

good luck with the stain! :D

dengelson
05-27-2002, 08:46 PM
I had luck removing some coffee stains using Stoner`s Carpet Cleaner. I sprayed it on kinda thick then agitated it and let it sit for about ten minutes then it vacummed right up. I was impressed because I really didn`t think it was going to work.

Detailing NY
05-27-2002, 09:08 PM
Use meguair`s all purpose cleaner. It can be diluted for cleaning carpets and works better then most carpet cleaners out on the market. It will easly remove the coffee.

Hope this helps

NYD

TurboCat
05-27-2002, 09:19 PM
Get the VW rubber floor mats! They are contoured to fit your car, snap in place and stay there. Extremely easy to clean.

I`ve spilled several beverages in my car, and they never hit the upholstery or carpet because the mats hold the liquid in place so you can wipe it up.

2k2blackWRX
05-27-2002, 09:50 PM
Well if you have EF carpet cleaner, and its still wet then hurry up and try to vaccuum some of it up with a wet/dry vac if u have one, then spray some carpet cleaner, agitate with a brush, get a terrycloth towl and wipe off the top excess of the stain and try to vaccum up the rest.

Thats what I would do.

Bryan

CharlesW
05-28-2002, 10:57 AM
Interesting, this happened to me this week. It was about two hours after it happened before I was able to do anything about it as I had a carload of people and was not home with access to anything. Immediately after, I soaked up as much of it as I could with a towel. When I got home I used a damp, almost wet towel to again soak as much of it up as I could. I would blot the spill, rinse the towel and then do it again. I then used resolve carpet cleaner to remove the rest. After it dried I vacuumed the area and luckily, no stain. It was just coffee with no cream or sugar so I have no idea how those two items may compound your problem.

Good Luck.

Charles

imported_Tony
05-28-2002, 02:27 PM
My wife "bless her heart" spills more coffee than she drinks. I use dawn and a sponge, then I use a wet vac. It works for me.

DaGonz
05-29-2002, 07:48 AM
If you stopped at Dunkin Donuts for the coffee and got their #1 special, you could toss a donut onto the spill to absorb the coffee! :D

Seriously, coffee stains usually come out pretty easily. I need my daily Starbucks fix (after all, it`s on the lower end of the amphetamine scale) and I don`t funtion well without it!

Starbucks coffee lids have been known to "leak" on occasion. I just keep a small piece of terry toweling in the console of my truck for quick pickups, then use my Bissel "little green cleaning machine" to pick up what`s left when I get home.

99323ic
05-30-2002, 01:39 PM
Well, I finally got home some 12 + hours later and the stain was completely dry after baking in the trunk under the Florida sun.

I wetted the entire stain with EF C&UC and scrubbed with a clean carpet brush to get a nice foam and worked the lather in and around.

I had to add a little water to the brush to keep the lather from drying out, and then I used a couple of cotton towels (white) and scrubbed the stained area partially dry. I then then vacuumed the stain for a few minutes to both get the moisture out and also to work the nap. I then left the carpet mat in the sun for the afternoon to dry.

Once the mat was dry, I re-vacuumed for at least 5 minutes working the pile in various directions. I could not even tell that the carpet had been stained or wet!! :D

I was really concerned that the pile of the carpet would look different and feel different. Fortunately, VW uses a very good quality carpet and it doesn`t hold dirt or stains. PHEW !!!!

Thanks for everyone`s input. Even though I had the stuff for several of the suggested ideas, I was really worried that the carpet would look or feel different. I was ready to go out and buy a new pad set (can we say expensive??) and I really don`t want rubber/plastic mats in the car. The black really looks stunning and I don`t want to change that look.

Thanks again!!