PDA

View Full Version : Removing Interior Silicone Dressing and Z application?

jdthompson
05-25-2002, 08:39 AM
Hi All,

The dealer has "prepared" the interior of my car with silicone, least I think that`s what it is.

Best way I can describe it is that it`s still matt, but feels quite tacky in places, kind of like the goop they use to attach a credit card to the letter that comes with it (in the UK at least).

Any pointers on how to safely/easily get rid of this stuff?

I want to use Autoglym Vinyl Cleaner but doubt it will take this stuff off.

Secondly, my Z1 and Z2 arrived (may get Z6 next time but as I ordered from the US it would have gone over the import duty limit).

My car is brand new, So far as applicaton I just want to check that I`ve picked up the right parts from what I`ve read - wash it using liquid dish soap, then use a dry foam applictor to apply Z1 (it seems awful thin, won`t it just soak straight into the foam?), then after it hazes apply Z2 using a moistened (guess with water) foam and wait until I can cut a clean line with my finger before removing.

This being England I`ll be lucky if the weather holds long enough for anything to dry :-)

Any other pointers?

TIA

Paul

Brad B
05-25-2002, 05:05 PM
You should first try a simple soapy solution. Mix a dishwashing detergent (most are alkaline based) with water and sponge or rag and wipe it down that way.

You can also try simple baby shampoos. They are very safe.

If that didn`t do it, the next step would be to try to cut it with denatured alcohol. These are safe on vinyl and leather materials and dyes.

Your plans for the Zaino sound fine. Good luck.

C. Charles Hahn
05-25-2002, 07:27 PM
what Brad said.....

and if none of those work, you can find and use some Meguiar`s Vinyl Cleaner (#39 I think??)

Lowejackson
05-27-2002, 02:37 PM
Paul, Autoglym recommend their interior shampoo to be used first on plastic before using the plastic polish.

I would go for Brads suggestion first though.

Steven

jdthompson
05-28-2002, 01:16 PM
Thanks all - I ended up using isopropyl alcohol which has done the job nicely in the areas that needed the crud removing, then using Autoglym Vinyl cleaner all over - I may get some Autoglym Interior Shampoo tomorrow.

So far as the Zaino, all I can say is that I`m very impressed.

It may be that having had to order from the US, wait for it to arrive, and the fact that it`s a new car there`s some placebo effect taking place as I *want* to think it looks good, but all in all for ease of use and the end result I think it`s excellent - can`t say nothing beats it as I haven`t tried anything else on the new car.

Just as an aside, when people talk about multiple layers of Zaino Z2, am I right in thinking that you only need use Z1 for the initial layer?

rgds

Paul