PDA

View Full Version : Black Crazy

shirtman
05-24-2002, 08:39 PM
As a newbie to the forum, I am in awe of the information in the threads you folks have posted. :bow As the owner of a black Miata (gee who would have guessed) and a detail freak, it is clear I have lost my mind either before or perhaps after its purchase while trying to keep it looking its best. This is my first black, and it is truly an incredible color when it is clean. Unfortunately, it is a daily driver, and is exposed to the elements of mother nature almost 365 days per year. It is garaged, which helps some, but I have struggled with many products over the years trying to achieve better results.

I have used a LOT of different products over the years. As a recovering Zaino user, my current pick is Griots. I could NEVER get Zaino on without smears. After my once a year clay, I follow with Machine Polish #3 on an orange pad with a PC, removing with a MF towel. Repeat as necessary. I then use the Best of Show, but I find it both difficult to put on and take off when used as directed. I have resorted to spraying a bit of Speed Shine on the pad, which seems to give a bit more even application. Once "dry" I remove with a bit of Speed Shine and a MF towel, followed by a polish with a MF pad to make sure traces are removed.

The results are pretty good, but I am always looking for better. The link here takes you to a few pics. http://members.cardomain.com/midnightexpress Any suggestions on application technique or products would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any followup, and I promise, my posts from here on out will be shorter! :bounce

Jeff

samiam513
05-24-2002, 09:59 PM
Welcome to the board. Your not Amish are you? I figure not since your on the computer. I used to live in West Chester Pa. and never could understand the Amish people.

Welcome

P.S. I think this is going ot be moved to Autpoia University

jmdlat
05-24-2002, 11:13 PM
Your not the only one. I had trouble with Zaino on my black car too. Great for older non-black cars IMO with a clay bar before it is applied. But as far as newer cars go, especially darker ones, it just smears like crazy....from trying it out on my own car.

JasonC8301
05-25-2002, 09:30 AM
Are you applying the Best Of Show wax by PC?

I only apply wax with PC if I am racing against the clock.

I prefer waxing by hand and a foam applicator.

After you apply the apply the #3 polish have you ever tried a glaze before you wax? I personally like Meguiars #7, but many people favor One Grand Omega Glaze.

If you are ever in the NY area, I have Klasse, Blackfire, Platinum, Pinnacle Souveran, One Grand Blitz wax for you to try on the black Miata, and lots of other detailing supplies. If you want to give it another go, I have Zaino with the new ZFX.

I think on a daily driver you wouldn`t want to glaze every 4-6 weeks, and wax every 3-4 weeks (my finding on durability of Souveran.) A good polymer sealant would work well. For a carnauba look that will last longer than a carnauba, Blackfire or Platinum are the products of choice, but with this wet look of a carnauba durability is not as long as a polymer sealant such as Klasse.

Jason

shirtman
05-25-2002, 12:03 PM
NO, Samiam.... not Amish. I like more than 1 or 2 horse power in my transportation.

JRH... I tried... I really tried, but when I got it out in the light...wham! Smears all over. Oh well.

Thanks, Jason, for the input. I have always liked carnuba based products, but they definitely have a shorter life on the car. I think you are saying that Blackfire or Platinum are a good compromise, but I don`t compromise well. What is the BEST for black? If I have to spring for Souveran, then so be it, and I will wax once a month (probablyam doing that now).

Only issue then is the cold season.... Is it advisable to go back and forth, using one for 3 seasons and a second for the winter when the elements are most harsh, and the opportunity to apply is limited?

Thanks for the help!:wavey (gotta love the animated smiles!)

Jeff

samiam513
05-25-2002, 10:24 PM
lol I have always wanted to stop and ask those people things like where`s they get the halogen oil lamp, andw hat they get in the Quarter mile, and dyno numbers.

For anyone who wants to know "Whats Amish?" Go here. http://www.800padutch.com/amish.shtml

gsfroelich
06-03-2002, 05:18 PM
I bought a new black Acura TL three weeks ago, and when I picked up the Acura I couldn`t believe the deep of the shine. I asked the sales man to find out what kind of polish they used he told to go to Web site of Platinum--. I went to see Rick the owner of Four Star Products to find out whats new on the market. I know Rick for a long time and I know he won`t stear me wrong. I am using his Platinum Series. I didn`t buy the cleaner because the car was new. All I did was wash the car, dried it with a blue microfiber towel, used the enhancer gloss and then applied a thin layer of paint protection. WOW the enhancer and the paint protection went on so easy and off so easy. Rick made me a believer. I haved use Pinnacle on my 2000 Lexus SUV and I always had a rough time with it leaving a greasy film.

I hope this will help someone to have a great looking car with little effort.

The Golfer:up

shirtman
06-03-2002, 05:28 PM
Well, based upon a number of writings on this board, I ordered Klass AIO, SG, and Pinnicle Souveran and cleaner. I hope the combo works. I will let you know how it comes out! :scared

Hope the $ were well spent.

Jeff