PDA

View Full Version : Attn: All recent-model Volkswagen and Audi owners…

rstype
05-23-2002, 07:18 PM
I just bought a new Passat as a daily-driver so I can detail one car and still not be stranded at home. :D However, the B-pillars are already covered in swirls! It’s a glossy, black surface… what should I use to get rid of them and keep them away? I haven’t washed the car yet, so it’s either from dirty fingers or the dealer. I`m worried about hazing from any abrasives... Do you have any particular tricks worth mentioning? X-PEL?

I recall a thread with YoSteve and Brad B. a long, long time ago, but it seemed to have been deleted with the new Autopia-Carport.

Thanks!

05-23-2002, 07:33 PM
My IS300 has this same type of surface, which is also swirled. I would be interested to know the way to treat it...

bjwebster
05-23-2002, 07:35 PM
Al...would you say its similair to the rear pillars on the ml. The ones on either side of the back hatch window.

05-23-2002, 08:19 PM
hmmm, almost but not quite. The IS almost seems like it is painted. We used 3M SMR to de swirl that back panel part on the ML and it came out great!

Preachers Sheets
05-23-2002, 08:21 PM
Hey guys, your pillars are painted and clearcoated so you can treat them as you would a regular body panel.

rstype
05-23-2002, 09:28 PM
Well anyway, I tried some Finesse-It 2 on it and the applicator turned black. It`s still really shiny and glossy though... it looks like its dipped in glass! So, no, I don`t think its clearcoated.

Hmm...

rstype
05-23-2002, 09:35 PM
I was just in the garage. I rubbed the Finesse-It 2 really hard with a soft foam applicator until it turned white and dry. The rubbing didn`t completely break down the abrasives.

Now instead of swirls, I`m left with hazing going the direction I rubbed. It`s less obvious that the swirls, but is all over the "paint." I tried Meg. SMR... it didn`t do much.

jmdlat
05-23-2002, 11:49 PM
The dealer may have done that when he prepped the car. The prep crew doesn`t spend hours on the car like you would detailing it getting every nook and cranny. They probably washed it and dried it down. Probably 20 minutes at the most.

NogaroS4Buffer
05-24-2002, 12:15 AM
That was the only part of my car that wasnt swirled when I bought it.

imported_Dan O
05-24-2002, 02:16 AM
Did your pad turn black from the rubber seals between the b-pillars or around the windows?

How about 3M SMR to remove the haze?

I haven`t tried attacking that part on my car, but it needs it too.

Kory

rstype
05-24-2002, 05:37 PM
The pad turned black from the B-pillar`s glossy black surface, not the rubber trim. I`ll try to post some pics up...

Brad B
05-24-2002, 10:30 PM
That part is REALLY touchy and swirls easily. It is painted and cleared.

The thing that has worked the BEST for my S4 is 3M SMR for Dark Paint. It absolutely removed all marks.

Nothing else did as well. I tried Finesse It, Pinnacle Paint Cleanser, SMR regular and others.

rstype
05-24-2002, 10:35 PM
Thanks Brad, I`ll give it a try! Then do you know what would explain the black-pad? Or maybe the Passat is different from the S4...

Thanks! :)

imported_fatboy
05-26-2002, 12:13 AM
anyone get to try meguiars #9 for the swirls on th black part. just wondering how it would compare against 3m smr