PDA

View Full Version : Need help on this

GePapa
05-23-2002, 08:47 AM
Hey guys. About a month ago I had my car professionally detailed. It came out great. Since then I have been going to touch free car washes. These things are good for getting loose dirt off but they don`t do a great job. Yesterday I decided to do a little water only cleaning to get off the residue dirt. So I took a soft wash sponge(looks like a mop), a bucket and two brand new terry cloth towels. I went over the whole car. This morning in the sun I see a lot of swirls(micro-scratches). What can I do to remedy this, I don`t want to start from scratch due to the fact that I just got it completely detailed. Any help?

ultrajim49
05-23-2002, 08:56 AM
Hello,

welcome

I`ve found this:

Washing

by David W. Bynon

CopyrightĂ‚©, 1999-2002, Autopia Car Care -- All Rights Reserved

Washing is the process of removing loose dirt and road film on the top of your car`s paint surfaces. A good car wash solution provides lubrication to prevent scratching and conditioners to maintain the shine.

Washing can be a double-edge sword, though, as even the mildest soaps can remove waxes and sealants from your car`s paint, allowing oxidation to begin. Detergents are very harsh and will dull your car`s finish if used frequently.

For years, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari and most other fine automobile makers recommended using only pure water to wash your car. When you find a shampoo you like, be sure to follow the manufacturer`s recommendations for usage. Using too much shampoo will cause streaking and reduces the longevity of your wax.

Here are some tips to make washing easier:

1. Wash the wheels first!

2. Make sure your car is cool and work in the shade, if possible. A hot surface causes the wash and rinse water to evaporate too quickly, increasing the likelihood of water spotting. One trick is to park on a slight incline. This allows rinse water to run off moldings, trim, and recessed areas better. Start by thoroughly wetting the car`s finish with a medium spray of water to remove loose grit and surface dirt.

3. Use a car wash shampoo specifically formulated for automotive use. Look for a shampoo containing surface conditioners and natural oils. These oils act as a lubricant. Sand and abrasive grit slide off in the rinse water without scratching the surface. These shampoos cost a little more but are worth every penny if you own a dark color car. Follow the shampoo manufacturer`s directions for the proper mix ratio. Using too much shampoo is wasteful and may leave a filmy residue on the surface.

4. I prefer a natural (not synthetic) sea sponge, cotton chenille pad, or sheepskin wash mitt for washing. These tools have a large number of fine filaments that draw dirt and grime away from the surface being cleaned into their internal structure. Synthetic (flat sided) sponges and wash clothes can trap dirt, grit, and grime on the surface which can scratch your car`s paint. If you use a natural sea sponge, use the outer "soft" side for washing, not the harder "cut" side, and always rinse new sponges thoroughly to remove any remaining sand or shell particles. 100% cotton chenille wash mitts and pads are also excellent as they hold lots of soapy water and are gentle to your paint.

5. Start washing from the top down and rinse the car often. Frequent rinsing is especially important if you are using a wash containing natural oils. While these oils cushion the paint and minimize abrasion they are heavier than water and can leave a film if allowed to set on the car. I use a final rinse of free flowing water (nozzle off the hose) allowing the water to sheet off the car.

All products mentioned in this article are available from Classic Motoring Accessories and are used at the buyer`s own risk. Autopia Car Care is not affiliated with and does not represent Classic Motoring Accessories or the manufacturers of the products mentioned. Other fine sources of car care products include Car Care Online, Griot`s Garage and Top of the Line.

Hope this helps,

It`s my washing technique , and it works for me

I allso use 2 buckets to wash : one with the soap-water and an other with only water in it : dip your sponge (or wash mitt or,...)in the soapy water , wash , but instead of putting the sponge (mitt,...) back in the soap-water , rince it in the water-only bucket , then back to the the soap , etc :

this prevents dirt getting in to your soap-water , thus preventing dirt crawling back in your sponge(mitt,...) thus preventing swirls.

Greetings ,

Christiaan

GePapa
05-23-2002, 09:15 AM
thanks for the info. But I really need to know whether I should just start from scratch i.e. dawn it, then clay and so forth or if I could apply another layer of wax and buff to get the microscratches out, cause I believe that they are only in the top layer of wax.

thanks

m5m3
05-23-2002, 09:29 AM
I found the same. I had my 996 detailed in Germany, and it looked brand new. However after I washed it a few times I noticed swirls. I do not think I introduced all these and put it down the the way the car had been detailed. I think the car looed so good after the detail in germany because they used Glaze and Wax that effectivly filled in the swirls in the paint so they coul dnot be seen. I guess getting the finish right is best, but the car is my daily drive, and with very light swirls the Glax and Wax work great. Maybe that is what was on your car.

Jngrbrdman
05-23-2002, 09:33 AM
If they are only in the top layer of wax then you could probably do a dawn wash and remove it. If the scratches are still there then they are obviously a little deeper.

What could have caused the swirls? Did you notice that they were all gone when you got it back from the detail shop? It is possible that your sponge is the culprit. I would suggest using a softer wash mitt if your car swirls easily. I use a sponge only if the car is going to get polished right after the wash or if the car is just super dirty and I need a sponge to scrub some of the dirty parts. They can sometimes cause those micro swirls you noticed.

Try stripping the wax and putting on another coat. If the swirls are still there when you put the new wax on then I don`t think you can blame your sponge. Something else has been causing them since you got it back from the detail shop. Do you have a polisher that you can use to take the swirls out yourself?

What do you use to dry your car with? If you are using something like a bath towel (I see people doing that all the time) then you could be putting the swirls in when you are drying. I suggest you pick up a California Water Blade and an Absorber at a PepBoys or even WalMart has em. If you want to get real fancy then you can check out the Big Blue Towel from CMA (http://www.properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html) or 4 Star`s Big Blue Towel (http://www.premiumautocare.com/bigmiccham.html). Both are excellent ways to safely dry your car with a minimal risk of damage. I did a review on both those towels in the Product Review Section. Do a search under Big Blue and I`m sure you`ll find some good stuff. There is an excellent review on the CMA Big Blue towel in there too that Brad B. wrote recently.

I hope this helps a little. It is hard to diagnose swirls without seeing the car in person and knowing what kind of care the car has had. Swirls are mysterious little devils that curse us all. Good luck getting rid of em.

GePapa
05-23-2002, 09:33 AM
That is a possibility I guess.

But I really think it was me who did it even though I was being very careful. I am 95% sure its the wax that is holding the lines I am seeing. As I see no oxidation problems, could I just apply another layer of wax?

Thanks for the help guys

imported_memnuts
05-23-2002, 09:42 AM
Sounds like when your car was detailed these micro-marrings were filled with the wax used. By washing, even with just water the filling effect was nullified. The only remedy is to re-apply a coat of wax or maybe QD with a solution that contains carnuba. This of course is under the assumption that the marring was not caused by the sponge :scared or bad towel drying. This may be a possiblity since you decided not to use a surfactant ( soap) to clean the finish. Wax a small area and see if there is any improvement. If so the answer is obvious. :D

GePapa
05-23-2002, 09:59 AM
I can verify that these lines were not there before or after the detailing. I really believe it was my drying that did them. I used 100% terry cloth towels. One to get the beads of water off and a second to completely dry it off. They were both brand new. And it looks like the lines follow the motions I used to dry. I have 3M liquid wax should I try that or should I dawn it and start from there? Thanks for all your help sofar.

imported_memnuts
05-23-2002, 10:08 AM
I would not Dawn. Dawn will not eliminate any surface marring but will remove residual wax. If the surface is still clean just try a coat of wax and see if these marks are eliminated (hiddened). Even the most careful car wash will create some surface marring. The art is to keep them too a minimum and also isolated to the surface protectant. :cool:

GePapa
05-23-2002, 10:29 AM
cool thanks

m5m3
05-23-2002, 11:42 AM
I found the same. I had my 996 detailed in Germany, and it looked brand new. However after I washed it a few times I noticed swirls. I do not think I introduced all these and put it down the the way the car had been detailed. I think the car looed so good after the detail in germany because they used Glaze and Wax that effectivly filled in the swirls in the paint so they coul dnot be seen. I guess getting the finish right is best, but the car is my daily drive, and with very light swirls the Glax and Wax work great. Maybe that is what was on your car.