PDA

View Full Version : Give me some tips for my weekend detailing!

dexter
05-22-2002, 10:01 PM
I plan on doing a thorough detail on my black GTI this weekend. I am kind of new to the detailing world. I have nasty swirls and haze marks on my hood even though the car was just SMR and waxed not too long ago. My plan this weekend is to wash with dawn to strip all the old wax and contaminents on the paint, use the PC 7424 and buff the hood to see if I can get that back to good and then SMR the whole car followed by Blitz wax. Any tips or suggestion on buffing or my whole detailing process? Thanks

Red Wolf
05-23-2002, 12:11 AM
Imperial hand glaze a coat or 2 after the SMR. either do the no wait buffing with the blitz or put a coat on and follow up with another coat in a couple of days. I really like blitz by the way thinking of how my car looks with blitz, while typing this, makes me smile.

I don`t think Dawn will remove surface contaminents, for that you would need to clay your car.

I have no experience with using a PC so I leave that to the pro`s

If you are one of the unfortunate few who don`t have a garage,find some shade or you`ll get water spotting.

Throughly go through this site it is full of information on detailing.

Preachers Sheets
05-23-2002, 07:42 AM
Use a clay if you have one, if not, skip this step, no big deal.

As you know, wash your car with dawn or whatever you have (within reason).

If the swirls are really really bad then you`ll be there all day with the 3M SMR and white pad, you won`t even have the entire car polished and there won`t be any sun left to detail your car nevermind the windows, trim and wheels.

I would suggest using a stronger product, something like 3M FI-II or 3M Fine Cut rubbing compound if the swirls are really bad. These products can be purchased at your local PepBoys and they work wonders while cutting down your polishing time quite a bit. I would also use the yellow pad first and then go to the white pad and SMR to fix any smaller swirls.

Save yourself some time for the rest of the car :up

samiam513
05-23-2002, 09:07 PM
Just make sure you have fun doin it. From people I have detailed for, their first detail experiance was bad, and they can`t do it again becasue of that one time. dunno whats wrong with them.:confused: