PDA

View Full Version : Need tips using SMR w/ a Rotary

Opernevor
05-22-2002, 09:53 PM
I recently went over my black truck with a foam pad to remove alot of fine scratches. I had good luck with the scratches, but left behind swirl marks. I think this may be due to two things: Using Meguiars Polishing Foam Pad instead of the Finishing Pad (which I did due to the depth and amount of fine scratches) and bad technique. I have a Milwaukee 5460 Polisher which has a dial to control speed (0-1750 RPM).

Any advice on technique, black is challenging my limited experiance? Should I try again with the Finishing Pad or something different?

BradE
05-23-2002, 07:07 AM
Unless you have a lot of expierence with a rotary you probably are not going to get a perfect finish on Black. If you have a random orbital like the Porter Cable go back over it with that and SMR to help the problem.

For a rotary, keep the pad flat. Make sure you cut in the edges first. You might also want to use a 3M waffle polishing pad (05738), waffle pads are a little easier to use and leave a much finer finish.

Preachers Sheets
05-23-2002, 07:43 AM
So what your saying is if your not really really good with the rotary your always going to need to pass over the car with the PC huh? This is going to be annoying but I`ve got to get used to this machine sooner or later.