PDA

View Full Version : Tree Sap on SGed GN

Blackmirror
05-22-2002, 07:19 PM
I got some tree sap. At least thats what I think it is. when i run my finger over the surface i can feel small hard spots. I can`t take them off with my finger nail. I suppose that is tree sap? If it is is there a product I can use to remove the tree sap without removing the SG? I was thinking of something like Tarminator.

Chowdur
05-22-2002, 07:26 PM
When i had tree sap on my car i got it off with a clay bar. I don`t think the clay would strip the SG off, but then agian i`m new to this stuff.

Blackmirror
05-22-2002, 07:29 PM
yeah thats a good idea. I would consider claying the car. Before I do that I need to know if anyone has clayed their SGed car and not have the SG strip off.

getfit74
05-22-2002, 08:39 PM
I`ve got a 4x S/G finish and all I have to do is give it a light wash and the little sap nuggets wash right off. If the S/G is well cured you would be amazed at how it prevents little messes from bonding to your paint. Let us know how you do.......

BradE
05-22-2002, 08:53 PM
Claying WILL remove a good portion of the SG, you will need to re-apply the product to the affected areas when you are done.

Blackmirror
05-22-2002, 10:14 PM
Forget the claying then. I don`t want to have to reapply the SG. I`ll wash the car and see what happens. Oops I forgot I can`t wash my car since I`m in NJ. We are having this problem with the drought and that it hasn`t been raining a lot in NJ. Guess I`ll try to wash it in the garage.

BradE
05-23-2002, 06:54 AM
You would not have to re-SG the entire car, just the areas that you clayed.

Blackmirror
05-23-2002, 09:19 PM
these micro critters are mostly on the hood, roof and trunk lid area. I think i would have to clay the whole hood, roof and trunk

Blackmirror
07-02-2002, 07:44 PM
I have Tarminator and haven`t used it yet. How much SG do you think it will remove? Lets say i have 3 coats.

shaf
07-02-2002, 11:31 PM
Any traditional "tar remover" should strip SG pretty thoroughly since it`s strong enough to dissolve tar and whatnot, just like gasoline.

If it were me, I`d try a strong wash or maybe even something like straight Mothers Trigger Wash(?) first. That`s what I bought Trigger wash for, but haven`t had to use it.... yet.

Scottwax
07-02-2002, 11:39 PM
If the sap is light, then washing should remove it. If not, you will probably have to clay then SG the car.