PDA

View Full Version : Tips on using Lanka Repair Kit

thecarguyGP97
05-22-2002, 07:16 PM
A couple of days ago, being the dumb *** that i am, i accediantly backed up into a pile of rocks that i couldn`t see :( . Well the scratches were pretty deep, so i went out and got some 3M Perfect It fine cut RC and some Lanka chip repair stuff. When i got home, i busted out the orbital and went at it with the RC. This stuff is AMAZING!! It made the scratches much less noticible and i was very happy with the results. I figured that i`d just try and fill the remaining scratch with some touch up paint and use the Lanka to smooth it out. When i tryed the Lanka, it didn`t work like i anticipated. It almost left small pieces of lint on the remaining touch up paint in the scratch. It was also difficult to even out the scratch so that it was level with the surface. Does anybody have any tips or tricks that helped with using the Lanka chip repair?? I am not going to try wet sanding because i don`t trust myself enough. I just thought i`d give this Lanka stuff a try. Thanks for the help.

Mindflux
05-22-2002, 08:04 PM
yeah they want your touchup paint to dry a while before you use the langka.. if the touchup paint is dry it`s not going to get little fibers caught in it..

Rokkz
05-22-2002, 09:03 PM
This might help~

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8459

Cheers

clint
08-29-2002, 10:11 AM
I found a lanka like solution on the cheap-

(suprise!).

On another thread that I can`t find right now, the observation was made that lacquer thinner can do the same thing that lanka does. Only lacquer thinner might harm the cars paint..

Today while I was rc/smr the sandpaper cloud from sanding my touch-ups out the conventional way with 2000 grit wet paper, I noticed I had missed one.

By missed one, i mean I had painted it with touch-up but forgot to sand the bump back to level.

I had already put away my sandpaper, but my 3m adhesive tar and wax remover was at hand. I noticed it said to test for saftey on lacquer paints. I thought I`d see if it could be used the lanka method, in place of the dubious lacquer thinner.

I sprayed a little on a business card folded so the not-printed side was out and I was able to rub the bump smooth just fine using the business card with atwr on it. It left paint only in the pit of the chip, and got it off the rest.

Maybe lanka fluid will work on a folded business card too.

Using business cards as swabs is a common practice in cleaning vcr heads- that`s where I got the idea.

shaf
08-29-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by clint

I found a lanka like solution on the cheap-

(suprise!).

Neat - thanks Clint! :xyxthumbs If you have any problems with the ATWR interfering with the touchup paint curing let us know.

I wonder if other tar removers (like the TW runny kind) would be as effective....

FWIW that was my thread about lacquer thinner and everything still seem hunky dory with my (ugly) touchups and surrounding paint, but to be safe I won`t be trying that again. :p

forrest@mothers
08-29-2002, 01:18 PM
I`ve had good luck with the Langka by allowing the touch up to dry for a day or 2 instead of just an hour or 2. It slows down the softening of the touch-up paint, giving you better control so you don`t remove too much of the touch-up paint.

Also, you mentioned leaving cloth fibers - what type of cloth weere you using? It needs to be a smooth type like a t-shirt or handkerchief. Terry cloth or other types of material with loops isn`t recommend.

kbshadow
08-29-2002, 01:41 PM
I let it dry like Forrest says and have good luck using a folded dollar bill instead of cloth, gives me more control

Bob

Stockton Ca

forrest@mothers
08-29-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by kbshadow

I let it dry like Forrest says and have good luck using a folded dollar bill instead of cloth, gives me more control

Bob

Stockton Ca

A dollar?! A dollar! I have 2 children and 5 cars, I can`t afford to waste a dollar

Mmmph
08-29-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by kbshadow

I let it dry like Forrest says and have good luck using a folded dollar bill instead of cloth

I just got back from the laundromat...Can I use 4 quarters? j/k ;)

scoop
08-29-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by forrest

A dollar?! A dollar! I have 2 children and 5 cars, I can`t afford to waste a dollar

5 cars.

:P

HmMmMm

:bow

I hope to have that many!