PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorm!

DaGonz
05-22-2002, 02:21 PM
I had a "brainstorm" the other day and tried something that worked out great. I was claying he paint finish of a Black 1987 BMW 325 that had not been cleaned in quite some time. When the clay bar got `gunked up" with contaminants, I took the clay bar I was using into the kitchen, placed it on edge on the cutting board and used a very sharp knife to "shave" the contaminated area off the bar...voila! A nice clean clay surface again! :xyxthumbs

05-22-2002, 02:39 PM
very nice gonzo, what kind of clay bar was this? I noticed the mothers bars have a sort of yellow candy coated outside and a sticky white inside. I dont think you could shave that bar off...:nixweiss

DaGonz
05-22-2002, 02:59 PM
This was a brand spanking new Meguiar`s clay bar that I found when Iwent through and reorganized my detailing supplies.

I just bought a new Mother`s clay bar, but I haven`t opened it up yet...I`ll save that for the "personal stable"

Don`t you love it when you find things you forgot you had in your "detailing arsenal"?

Brad B
05-22-2002, 06:58 PM
Better yet, do what I do and START with small shaved pieces of clay. Use one side, flip and use the other. When both sides are dirty, throw it away. This way there is NEVER any debris kneaded into the new bar. This is a very economical and foolproof way to avoid contamination and scratches.:up

PlatinumFanatic
05-22-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Brad B.

Better yet, do what I do and START with small shaved pieces of clay. Use one side, flip and use the other. When both sides are dirty, throw it away. This way there is NEVER any debris kneaded into the new bar. This is a very economical and foolproof way to avoid contamination and scratches.:up

Wow! VERY good idea. One of those "why didn`t i think of that?" ideas!

VetteToVair
05-22-2002, 09:18 PM
how many small shaved pieces do you usually get from a clay bar?

tonysandiego
05-22-2002, 10:25 PM
bar, you`ll probably get 15-20 pieces easily. I saw BradB do this a couple of weeks ago and I tried it this past weekend. Cut off a piece about the size of a half dollar at a time. I took all of 6 little pieces to do my entire 528. Granted, it was not in bad shape to start with, so if you are starting with a neglected finish, plan on more.:xyxthumbs