PDA

View Full Version : I`ve got a rust question...

Preachers Sheets
05-22-2002, 07:51 AM
My father has a 1998 Express Van, he has the alloy rims that are all one peice (the cargo van rims, not the conversion van). I am sure you people have seen them before. The only thing that comes off of the rim is the aluminum dish that hides where the rim meets the tire.

Well, at the edge of the rim is a little rust. My father told me if I rub it with a little steel wool it`ll come right off but I don`t know. It sounds like it would work perfect but I am thinking there may be a good way to protect this metal from rusting in the future.

What do you guys think? Is there another way to remove the rust?

imported_BretFraz
05-22-2002, 09:01 AM
(1) Dad is always right. Remember, he brought you into this world - - he can take you out.

(2) Steel wool and a little polish will probably take off the rust in a couple swipes. But the rim is exposed so it needs to be repainted to prevent rust from reforming.

(3) Are you sure they are alloy wheels? Sounds to me they`re steel wheels with trim rings (beauty rings). If so, the wheels are painted silver to fixing them means repainting the rusted (and now cleaned) areas. I`m sure the dealer has touch-up paint. If I`m mistaken, please post a link of a pic so we can see exactly what wheels are on it.

Jngrbrdman
05-22-2002, 09:17 AM
GS27 or ScratchX will work on it. I use GS27 on rust like that. It works pretty well for me. Rubs it right out.

John Z
05-22-2002, 10:48 AM
My 2001 Pathfinder has a 1/4 inch oval that is rusting on top of the left side bumper. I don`t know if this is covered by warranty or not. Can I use clay + SMR to fix it or will it have to be repainted? I can feel the rust when I pass my hand over the area. I`m sure it`s rust and not a rock chip.

Jngrbrdman
05-22-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by drbigz

My 2001 Pathfinder has a 1/4 inch oval that is rusting on top of the left side bumper. I don`t know if this is covered by warranty or not. Can I use clay + SMR to fix it or will it have to be repainted? I can feel the rust when I pass my hand over the area. I`m sure it`s rust and not a rock chip.

I would take it in to the dealership before you try to repair it. If its covered by warranty then let them fix it for you.

If it is just surface rust then you should be able to remove it with an abrasive like a scratch remover. It should be able to be removed by hand. If you have clay handy then you could try that too. For rust removal I would always try a scratch remover first. Like I said before, GS27 or Meguiar`s ScratchX would work on that spot.

Preachers Sheets
05-22-2002, 12:04 PM
Ok sounds good.

Gingerbread man - so all I got to do is use that applicator on my paint after right? Save me the time of letting the product "soak" into the pad since there is already some soaked in from the rim job ;)

Jngrbrdman
05-22-2002, 12:08 PM
Actually, you just use a shop towel or something. You gotta rub pretty hard sometimes and an applicator like a sponge wouldn`t really work that well I don`t think. :)

Preachers Sheets
05-22-2002, 12:17 PM
Ok cool.

The rust really isn`t that bad, my dad just wants the rest of the van to be picture perfect since the paint came out so well. You know how the rim has the face right, well at the top of the rim where it ends, there is that edge that isn`t painted because it is where the machine cut the rim or whatever. There is less than 1/8th of an inch of rust in a few places, really minor problem. I was thinking of getting the surface really clean then trying some Klasse Glaze to protect it or something :nixweiss