PDA

View Full Version : Premier paint finish - Hand Vs PC

rd_volvo
05-20-2002, 10:23 AM
I`ve often wondered, which paint preperation procedure

would give the better results, painstaking hand application

or orbital buffer?

What`s the consensus among the detailing veterans here.

Also, what do show car and Pebble Beach league

collectors opt for.

I`ve always been leary due to the possible scratching

and burning the edge of the paintwork using an orbital.

Lemonxxs
05-20-2002, 11:12 AM
Depends on the condition of the paint huh?

PC for abrasives in my book unless in small areas inaccessible by PC.

Paint cleaners...depends on paint for me.

wax, glaze, sealants by hand for me.

blackrex
05-20-2002, 11:34 AM
PC for everything IMHO. Gives a more consistent finish then hand especially on black.

jmdlat
05-20-2002, 12:33 PM
Thats a question I have been wondering about for a long time now; being I own a black car. Im going to buy a Porter Cable Buffer today, and see for myself which works better!:D

imported_doug
05-20-2002, 12:58 PM
The more I use the PC, the more I find there is NOTHING that is better by hand. On the other hand, with a product like Souveran, it is SO easy to apply and buff off by hand that I don`t use the orbital for it - it would actually take longer (a rare exception to the rule.)

The PC actual orbit is a series of tiny ellipses. You will see, in perfect light, that you will have some swirls in this shape. They are generally much harder to see in normal light, and even under good light they tend to apear as if your non-metallic paint had a slightly metallic quality. These bug me like any imperfection, but they are less deep and less noticeable - in fact preferable in my opinion to the longer, straighter scratches you risk any time you work by hand.