PDA

View Full Version : Wax removal

MotorHead
05-19-2002, 09:30 PM
I just detailed my midnight blue Volvo. I started with a clay, SMR, OG omega glaze, and finishing off with a coat of Blitz wax.

I use a 100% cotton towel to remove the excess product but found the the lint from the towels was driving me crazy.

I`ve been interested in microfiber towels but after reading the other posts, it looks like MF towels aren`t the choice for wax removal ( wax will clog the towel?)

What are my options?

MotorHead

Jngrbrdman
05-19-2002, 09:51 PM
Well, I use MF towels to buff of my souveran wax. It works perfect for me. No complaints whatsoever. Now, back in the day of Gold Class liquid wax I was using one of those cheese cloth looking towels. It held the dust inside it and kept it off my car. That was back before I discovered microfiber though. You can get the towels I was using at AutoZone or PepBoys or probably just about anywhere else for that matter.

chevyguy28
05-19-2002, 10:01 PM
I used microfiber towels to remove P21S from my car and it worked fine. The excess did not clog up the towel that much, but switching to a fresh example helps as well as spraying the area with a light mist of QD if you need to. Definately obtain some MF, even if you don`t use it for wax removal, you will love them for other things. MF tends to be the best finishing towel in any case.

MotorHead
05-19-2002, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the reply. The one issue i have is, we always want a towel that`s 100% cotton, no polyester. The MF towels are almost all polyester, am I missing something here?

Jngrbrdman
05-19-2002, 10:19 PM
Ask yourself this... If polyester was so bad then why would so many people swear to towels made out of it? I love my microfiber towels. I definatly don`t think that a product has to be 100% cotton to be safe on your car.

chevyguy28
05-20-2002, 12:14 AM
Well, I think that if the towel is supposed to be 100% cotton and is not, it will scratch the car. I used to roll up the corner of my cotton towels and set them on fire. If they burned like a candle they were pure, and if I saw any bubbling or smoke it was not. Yes, a 99% cotton towel with 1% polyester will scratch. I once discovered on some of my flannel polishing cloths that the cloth was 100% cotton, but the stitching was highly synthetic. I was forced to fold the towels back around those portions.

These days, it`s mostly MF for me. I still use cotton on wheels and the exhaust tips. Bottom line: the construction of MF is probably more significant than the material, though it is the material that makes it possible.

ALAN81
05-20-2002, 06:17 AM
MF towels is the choice by me.If you are putting on wax taking off wax or buffing, with the right MF towel it comes out beautiful.You might have to use more than a few towels per car but its worth it!

corvettez
05-20-2002, 07:14 AM
A good MF towel won`t leave lint behind during wax removal and if it passes the CD test then you should feel confident with putting it on the paint. You might want to try varying or decreasing the layer of wax thickness that you put down as well, Blitz seems to agree with being put on very, very, (very) thin, (IMHO) and removal is that much easier with a minimum of residue.

ernie
05-20-2002, 03:51 PM
hi motorhead: you`ve gotten lots of good advice already. Good MF towel, not too heavy on the wax, and you should be fine. I keep a second MF handy for buffing after I`ve removed most of the wax on a panel. Some folks use one MF per panel or so, but I`ve not found a need to use that many (yet). On the cotton towels, you will find a lot of variance in the degree of linting among the "100% cotton" towels out there. I`ve found that the ones with the tighter weaves tend to lint less, but I don`t know if that is manufacturer-specific or not. I have a pile of cotton towels that lint a bit, and a pile that don`t lint much at all. The former are useful for drying, but that`s about it. For the most part, however, I`ve switched to MF.

Have fun

ernie