PDA

View Full Version : To clean the Paint: Use both polish and claybar?

ChicagoRay
05-18-2002, 08:14 PM
or just one?

Jngrbrdman
05-18-2002, 09:28 PM
Well, clay is definatly going to help. I would recommend picking out a paint cleaner instead of a polish. Maybe one from the Meguiar`s line or even Klasse All in One. Use the paint cleaner first to get the big stuff and then clay to get whats left. That would be what I would do anyway. :xyxthumbs

Lemonxxs
05-18-2002, 09:40 PM
I would wash...Clay....then use a cleaner if the paint needed it.

But I like extra pickles and onions on my whopper :D

RegalGS
05-19-2002, 02:34 AM
My understanding of the clay system is that it pulls the larger contaminants out of the finish, while the paint cleaner would help more with the finer stuff. Kinda like sweeping a floor, and then mopping. Is this the wrong way to look at it?

Dawn

MicroRacer
05-19-2002, 08:57 AM
Dawn,

Claying is the BEST cleaning process possible. A cleaner is optional. Depending on the paint condition and the amount of time and effort you are willing to spend. I very seldom use both. Usualy I just clay and then proceed on. I am about to use both steps on a black eight year old Cobra I bought. The reason being, the car has had no protection except for a garage.(never waxed) The paint looks good, but is not factory. I think the guy just had it buffed is all. I will clay bar the car to remove all contaminants & to acheive the slickest paint possible. Then, because I have never worked on this car, I will use a cleaner...probably Zymol`s HD cleanse. This is just a precausion, and will remove any remaing residues from the clay and will give me a base shine that the clay will not produce. It will also feed the paint. You have been misinformed about the clay bar process. The clay (if done properly) will remove ALL contaminants small & large & will leave you with the best paint condition to proceed with your next steps. The cleaner is only for reasons given above & will not equal the clay bar process alone. :xyxthumbs

hope this helps..............GOOD LUCK!