PDA

View Full Version : MF 80/20 made in China

SoTex
05-17-2002, 02:01 PM
I can get a 10 pack of these (14 x16) for about $15. good deal?

mp5_toronto
05-17-2002, 02:14 PM
MF towels are like restaurants.

When you take your significant other out for their birthday, you can either go somewhere you know is good and pay a reasonable amount for a good quality meal and a nice evening.

Or, you could try to cut costs by going somewhere you`ve never been that you found in the yellow pages that promotes the fact that their meals are "low cost". You might get lucky and have a great evening. On the other hand, the crappy waiter may forget your order, bring you obviously skunky beer, then spill your entire meal all over your partner. And to top it all off, the meal (which you tasted right off of your partners new $300 jacket) tasted like s**t.

I don`t know about you, but I`d take the first scenario over the second any time. Just my 2 cents - read whatever you want into that.

ALAN81
05-17-2002, 02:30 PM
THERE ARE 2 TYPES OF MF TOWELS THAT I CAME ACROSS FORGET ABOUT 70-30----80--20..........................THERE ARE PLUSH AND THEN THERE ARE THE CHEAPER TOWELS JUST BE CAREFUL YOU WANT THE PLUSH TOWELS THEY ARE MUCH BETTER FOR EVERYTHING

mp5_toronto
05-17-2002, 03:04 PM
Alan - not sure what you`re saying. Are you saying that 80-20 is no good? Or 70-30? Plushness is pretty hard to tell unless you`re buying the towels in person.

99323ic
05-17-2002, 03:32 PM
In a previous post (that I can`t locate at the moment) I wrote that you get what you pay for. For that reason, I stick with CMA mf towels. They may be more expensive than some other places, but I also believe that they are high quality towels.

I have heard very positive comments (from long time Autopians that I have a high level of trust in) about Tacscar.com and YoSteve.com towels. Because of those comments, I would feel entirely comfortable purchasing from them as well. CMA has been very convenient for me and since they are in Tampa (and I`m on the east coast of Florida) I get my shipments next day (gotta love instant gratification!).

As far as the blend goes, I believe that most will agree that 80/20 is the preferred blend.

ALAN81
05-17-2002, 03:35 PM
IN my opinion they are both good 80-20-------70--30 does 10% make a big difference I dont think so just make sure that they are plush so many different types CMA neat items has the good ones and yo steve too I bought from jt on E BAY first he sent me samples because you have from korea and china and then you might pick up a knock off and its junk BE CAREFUL you dont have to pay a lot of money for these towels if you know where to buy them

imported_fatboy
05-17-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by jimwh

As far as the blend goes, I believe that most will agree that 80/20 is the preferred blend.

disagreement here...i`ll take a 70/30 blend for my mf towels. i have one 80/20 towel and it`s sole purpose is 303 application. not that its bad, but not to be trusted on the paint of my car.

99323ic
05-17-2002, 04:16 PM
I stand corrected. Please see my response in My new mf towels (http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=97496#post97496).

SoTex
05-17-2002, 04:19 PM
These are at Costco and are doing a great job so far. I use the blue one for windows. A yellowish one for applying carnauba (is that ok?). A brighter yellow one for removing wax. The orange one for QD/claying. etc...

However, I have never used another MF, so I can`t compare. Compared to terry cloth, I like these better. I also like using cloth diapers for detailing.

Sirslap2
05-17-2002, 08:38 PM
I asked the same question on composition awhile back and David responded with a great link:

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8360&highlight=80%2F20

getfit74
05-18-2002, 07:52 AM
The majority of these towels are made by the same manufacturer and packaged for the end seller, distribution houses, or retailer. A perfect example is Turtlewax MF towels. They are nice little towels very soft and do a great job. BUT they are made for turtle wax and labeled for them at the manufacturer. They cost from 2.50 to 4.99 each. Now at a local dollar store they sell "furniture polishing cloths" they are in fact THE SAME EXACT MF towel as the turtlewax MF towel. The packaging is the EXACT same, just the paper insert with the name is different. The towel is the same 70/30 MF with the same label and everything. The part number on the plastic package is the same, the paper insert is the same exact dimiensions as the other, its really wild. Turtle wax knows that enthusiasts will pay that much for a towel and they charge it. These towels probably cost only a little more to make then regular towels but they are "all the rage" right now so they charge what the detailing market will bear. In the end, try them and make your own descision BUT dont get caught up on brand names and costs because NONE of these retailers and end sellers make their own towels or even have a say in how they are made, just what they charge. I bet there are only 2 or 3 factories in Asia pumping these things out.

(I`m sure they do make different levels of quality) Now.... I know there are some who just dont feel good buying anything unless it comes from a top class name or are pricey, but I would rather do my research and save a little cash......... Just my 2 cents :nixweiss

mp5_toronto
05-18-2002, 08:03 AM
Point taken Avalanche. I think what I was trying to say was that until I know for sure that a particular MF towel is good quality and safe to use on my paint, I`ll stick with the brand that I know is good even if its $1 more per towel. Now, if you could show me that a certain cheap no-name towel is exactly the same as the brand that I buy for more, or that the quality is exactly the same, I`ll happily switch. Thats what this forum is about - learning from others experiences. Because I`m not about to go buying tons of different MF towels from different places just trying to find a brand that is good quality and cheaper that my current MF - in that case I may as well have just stayed with my preferred brand as it would have been cheaper!

ALAN81
05-18-2002, 08:05 AM
just to prove a point I make clothing and in the same factory I make it for Macys and K MART.Whats the difference the label and MAYBE I change a button or two but they are the same.(the prices in the store are different) I dont think only 2 factories only make these MF towels(machines are cheap) but I agree its the labeling.

SoTex
05-18-2002, 08:21 AM
The ones at costco are labeled Microfiber Unlimited, Inc.

Just FYI

getfit74
05-18-2002, 09:47 AM
I just offered that as an example. Needless to say every time I drive past the dollar store I stop in to see if they have any MF towels. I`m not sure I can, or even want to "prove" they are the same, but in my mind and from what I have seen they are. All in all what I meant was to get out there and look around there are good deals to be found.