PDA

View Full Version : HELP...Too many products, rookie here...

ClayBartrug
05-17-2002, 12:10 PM
OK, I have to say I`m a little intimidated by everything I`ve been reading here thus far. There`s so much out there, and everyone seems to have VERY strong opinions on what is best and what methods work best....

A little background... 1998 BMW M3, Cosmos Black. Recently took ownership, car finish is in good condition, but I`d like to start fresh with it, and do it right.

In the past I`ve used Gliptone car wash, Zymol cleaner wax, Zymol Carbon. I`m a bit lost as far as protectants, polishes, this, that and the other thing. I use a synthetic chamois for drying, or 100% cotton towels. I have MF polishing clothes from griots. I have some griot`s SS which i haven`t really used yet much.

Should i consider clay bar first?

Give me some direction here... Is Zymol not worth continuing to use?

ANy and all help is appreciated, hopefully i wont be more confused afterwards...

:confused:

Lemonxxs
05-17-2002, 12:13 PM
Welcome to the forum....:wavey

I suggest getting the e-book and doing some searches on the products you mentioned to get some background info.

Good Luck

Kleanride
05-17-2002, 12:20 PM
In the past I`ve used Gliptone car wash

What is Gliptone? I have never heard of it! Any good?

JasonC8301
05-17-2002, 12:32 PM
Gliptone www.gliptone.com

Their products are not the best, but they are not the worst.

I know someone down the block that used Gliptone`s carnauba cleaner wax on his yellow Suzuki Vehicross. His car looks great given the conditions of it being outside 24/7. Also has some very nice 20 inch (or so) chrome rims on it.

Lowejackson
05-17-2002, 12:44 PM
BMW M3 - very nice car :up I agree with Guess My Name, buy the book, well worth every penny. You will not regret it and it helps pay for this forum.

Steven

Brad B
05-17-2002, 01:05 PM
There are many products to research. But the basic process is the same. Clean, clay, compound, protect.

The Autopia e-book really is a great source of information as is the archives and search modes.

You will get the best response from fellow Autopians by being as precise as possible with questions. There is so much to cover broad questions are hard to try to answer!

Clay is a must. It will pull out embedded contaminents and make the finish smooth to the touch. The next step is to flatten the surface with varying degrees of abrasives (if necessary) and remove scratches and swirls then finally seal the finish in with a wax or sealant of your choice depending on your needs and goals.

Welcome to the forum!:xyxthumbs

ClayBartrug
05-17-2002, 01:46 PM
thanks guys, bought the e-book, looks good so far.

I guess I have some research to do!