PDA

View Full Version : Why is the pad that comes with the PC7336SP disliked?

05-17-2002, 10:05 AM
I just got my Porter Cable polisher and I am wondering with the pad that it came with is disliked so much. Is it just because it is tedious to take off an on? If that is the only reason I am going to go ahead and use it, because 1 minute of tediousness and saving 10 bucks on a CMA pad is worth it for me. Does this pad marr the finish or not to a good job? I would like to use my PC now b4 the CMA stuff arrives but I am unsure to use it. What type of cut would this pad compare to, the CMA site doesn`t really say.

99323ic
05-17-2002, 10:19 AM
The pad that`s included with the 7336SP has the bolt attached directly to the pad and I believe the fear is that either that the attachment plate (inside the pad) would possibly scratch or the heat from the machine would transfer through the bolt to the pad and therefor onto your paint.

It certainly looks like a quality pad, but I don`t know (being new to the PC) what level of cut it has. I assume that since the unit is outfitted with the pad and it`s referred to as a polisher, that it`s a polish pad (similar to the grey pad from CMA).

The pad kit from CMA is work the money, IMHO. You get the backing plate which should last a long time and quality pads. Once you have the backing pad, you can either get replacement pads from CMA, or locally use 3M or Meguiar`s pads (if you`re lucky enough to find a local shop).

hckirchner
05-17-2002, 10:25 AM
I have seen Griot Garage`s hype about their non-heat transferring pad -- all in the context of justifying a price for the 7336 that is $50-75 above the market.

I`m not an engineer and perhaps the concerns are merely theoretical, but I have made a point of holding my hand up against the pad at different times and have never felt even a hint of heat.

I have used the "stock" 7336 pad for general cleaning (using SMR for example) but then switched to the CMA pads. But rather than use the CMA backing plate, I simply glued a hook-and-loop backing sheet available at any hardwared store to the sanding plate that comes with the 7336.

No problems whatsoever.

JasonC8301
05-17-2002, 10:36 AM
I don`t dislike it, but i prefer the pads from CMA becuase they fell better IMHO.

It is also very hard to clean the pad because of the backing plate. I just run it under warm water and try my best to get it "clean."

I use the supplied pad for polishing glass with Zaino Z-12 and Klasse AIO for the tiles in my shower.

DM-KIT from CMA is a good start, works very well for me...

BTW574
05-17-2002, 12:10 PM
I do not disloke it it is just easier to change pads with the velcro backing plate. If you want the plate that come with the Griots machine just go buy one from a Porter Cable dealer. Cost you about $20. I got mine from the local contractor supply store

Rcs476
05-17-2002, 12:45 PM
I think it`s also that the pad is flat and not concave, which could result in product splattering.

imported_doug
05-17-2002, 02:30 PM
The pad will separate, eventually, from the plastic backing. when this happens, if you`re not paying attention, you can damage your car. On the CMA pads - the velcro will begin to separate from the foam - a much safer failure mode.

But for me it is about convenience. I change pads frquently - if a friend brings their car over with water spots and swirls (its beginning to happen a little more frequently....) I will use a pad with FI-II, another with SMR, another with glaze, another to apply wax and another to buff it out. I`m all fumble-fingered with the wrench. This is just so much easier - and the pads are cheaper because you don`t have to keep buying backing plates.