PDA

View Full Version : Products that can be used with PC

m5m3
05-17-2002, 08:54 AM
I have just ordered a PC, but after searching the archives, and reading many manufactures product details, I was still unclear which products can be used with a PC. There are products that are `machine` versions of polishes etc but I beleive that other products such as 3M SRM are not specificaly machine based but can be used. Just thought with all the experiance on forum it may be goo having a thread of products people have succesfully used their PC`s with.

I would start it off, but my PC has will not be with me till the end of the week (I live in the UK).

JasonC8301
05-17-2002, 09:06 AM
Almost any product that can be used by hand can be used with the PC. Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze line are very friendly with this, they label their products with a small line with method of application (hand, orbital polish, dual action polish (Porter Cable), or rotary.)

These are the products I use from Meguiar`s with the PC,

Meguiars #7 Show car glaze

Meguiars #9 Swirl Mark Remover

Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish

Meguiars #26 Hi-tech yellow wax (liquid.)

Most machine polishes from 3M can be used with the PC.

3M Perfect It II Fine cut Rubbing Compound

3M Finesse It II Finishing Material

3M Perfect It III Machine polish

3M Perfect It Swirl Mark Remover.

These polishes when used with the PC will take longer application times than with a rotary buffer. The time extra time is needed for the PC to break down the abrasives in these polishes.

jrt81
05-17-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by JasonC8301

These are the products I use from Meguiar`s with the PC,

Meguiars #7 Show car glaze

Jason, quick question. I have tried using #7 w/ my PC and it gets all gummed up and sticks to the paint. I`m obviously using it wrong. But I don`t have that problem when using SMR or P-II. Please give me some advice on how to use #7. It seems much more difficult to work w/ than the others. Thanks. Sorry for highjacking the thread, just pm the advice.

imported_Indy YZF
05-17-2002, 11:28 AM
Almost any product that can be used by hand can be used with the PC

Ok, relative to this subject here`s my question..I had just ordered a new bottle of 3M IHG from Larry Reynolds at carcareonline.com. I told him I just ordered a Porter CAble and wanted to use it to apply the IHG...He wrote back and said absolutely NOT to use the IHG with the porter cable, because its Hand Glaze, and the PC is not....

Then I told him I thought I could use a hand product with the PC because I thought that orbitals mimicked hand action, only faster and easier...He basically told me that if I believed that, I was a fool, etc, etc, etc. Then I told him that orbitals didnt heat the finish as much as rotaries, to which he again implied that all that is is marketing, etc, etc...Clearly he`s no fan of machine applications.

But, the question remains...Can I effectively apply my IHG with my new PC, or, should I return it and have it replaced instead with either 3m SMR or Omega Glaze?

Thanks.

Lemonxxs
05-17-2002, 11:47 AM
3M SMR is not a glaze...It is a slight abrasive product.

vettefan67
05-17-2002, 11:56 AM
Yes, you can use IHG with a machine with no problems.

JasonC8301
05-17-2002, 11:58 AM
Larry at Car Care online may be a bit old school, so some of his thoughts may contradict what we discuss on this forum. To each his own I guess :)

One of the real old timers whose no longer with us (or are you just lurking) moe decribed how to apply the 3M IHG by PC. It can be done, just requires some technique to it. I should of saved the thread. So if anyone saved it please post it.

I`ll post what I remember from it.

Work in small sections at a time (1/4 - 1/3 of the hood, half a door panel, etc. etc.) and DO NOT let the IHG dry on the surface. Spread the IHG at a slow speed (2-3) and work it in at 4. This should take about a minute to a minute and a half (no need to use a stop watch you can actually gauge by looking at the product but different paints react differently to different polishes so adjust the work in time accordingly) then go over it at 4-5 for 10 seconds. then IMMEDIATELY buff it out. Not need to let it dry.

Keep doing this until you have finished the entire car. Then follow up with a carnauba wax (Blitz, #26, Souveran, etc. etc.)

You may have to give it several tries to get it just right but the results should be nothing short of "wet" Some people report some oily residue/haze from the IHG.

Since you already have the product, give it a whirl, no need to wait for Omega Glaze to arrive and IHG to be shipped, unless you have the time.

I know several people prefer the Omega glaze over the 3M IHG. I personally prefer Meguiar`s #7 over 3M IHG, my cousin has the nearly full bottle in the trunk of his BMW (garaged 85% of the year.) Which reminds me, the yearly treatment to this car will be done soon, I plan to give the car the full Zaino treatment. 3 coats of ZFX and Z-2 once a year (there are close to no swirls in the car, paint chips however number about 7.)

The 3M SMR is in a different class of polishes, the Omega Glaze and 3M IHG are just glazes with no abrasive properties, just fillers. The 3M SMR has some abrasives in it mixed with some fillers. Its the next step up from the glazes.

Well not 3M IHG, but here is a dark green 1997 Accord with 3M Finesse it II with PC and foam cutting pad, three spots had to have another application of the 3M FI becuase of light scratches (didn`t get them out, but they are very hard to see now), then Meguiars #7 Glaze with PC and foam polishing pad, a coat of Pinnacle Souveran by hand

http://pstr-m05.ygpweb.aol.com/data2/001/44/EB/CE/2B/ywnQ3c4-lrSpXkTdzVOpeLALHJNa7NPL0180.jpg

porterdog
05-17-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by paul e

Then I told him that orbitals didnt heat the finish as much as rotaries, to which he again implied that all that is is marketing, etc, etc...

FWIW, I recently ran a little experiement with my PC, and the CMA lambswool pad covered by the Max microfiber bonnet. I wanted to see if a final buffing with this setup would get a better shine on an AIO/SGx4/S100x3 finish (not significantly). During one phase of this spontaneous experiment I ran the PC at 5.5 with some solid pressure for about a minute and then pulled it off the car and felt the pad. Cool to the touch...

YMMV,

Robert

JasonC8301
05-17-2002, 12:18 PM
Another way to test heat (something NYd showed me) is to place the PC on the palm of your hand and turn it on, speed 3-4. Only a little warm.

Now if you have access to a rotary buffer, turn it on at 1500 RPM on the palm of you`re hand. Now that is really warm/hot.

Jason

imported_Indy YZF
05-17-2002, 04:03 PM
Larry at Car Care online may be a bit old school, so some of his thoughts may contradict what we discuss on this forum. To each his own I guess

A bit???? Cmon....He agrees with practically nothing on this forum we are saying! Hes strictly a hand applied polish glaze and carnauba guy. And he gets quite vehement about these out dated and disproven ideas....He still thinks PCs are 3 position buffers...Which he says cost only 20 bucks, and are no different than rotaries at damaging paint and heating. Is this guy smoking crack? Ive done business with him for some time, becasue he delivers quickly and his prices are good, and when Meguiars was the main supplier of what i used, he had a good selection. But as for getting advice from him, either you buy into his ideas, or those on this forum, but I hardly see how you can hold onto both!

imported_Indy YZF
05-17-2002, 04:06 PM
Oh yeah...one more thing. He says the only difference between rotaries and orbitals is that rotaries create circular swirls, and oribitals create figure 8 swirls...My comeback should have been, `not if your using it half way correctly...`. Not that it would have made any difference to him though.

Detailing NY
05-17-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by JasonC8301

Another way to test heat (something NYd showed me) is to place the PC on the palm of your hand and turn it on, speed 3-4. Only a little warm.

Now if you have access to a rotary buffer, turn it on at 1500 RPM on the palm of you`re hand. Now that is really warm/hot.

Jason

Glad to see you were paying attention in class the day

call me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!