PDA

View Full Version : This is a great site, but…

Pages : [1] 2

rtsiv
05-16-2002, 06:42 PM
I thought I was finished spending lots of money on detailing supplies. I’m not a detailer, but I’ve always liked to keep my cars looking good. I guess it started with my 3rd car, a charcoal gray ’88 Honda Accord LX. A friend recommended Zymol Carbon, and I used it for a few years. It looked great, but it didn’t last long. This was the first expensive wax I’d used (Blue Coral and Turtle wax anyone?), and I thought it was awesome that the Zymol didn’t stain my trim. From around ’92 to ’96, I tried Pinnacle (didn’t last as long as the Zymol), P21S (replaced the Zymol for a while), and just about everything Meguiar’s made. (I still have some #2, #7, #9, and #26 in the garage.) In ’96 I discovered 3M IHG and One Grand Blitz, and I thought I was finished looking. OGB is still my favorite conventional wax, and the best bang for the buck. The joy lasted until ’99 when I discovered Zaino. The first experience wasn’t good. I put it on too thick, and it took over 4 hours to dry, but I’ve got the hang of it now, and can do 2.5 cars with an ounce. After I got the hang of Zaino, I gave all of my other waxes away except for the #26 and OGB. I got some ZFX this year. It’s great, and it addresses my main complaint, drying time.

I guess like Jngrbrdman said, nothing is perfect, so I guess the search will never end…. The Klasse twins sound interesting…. Especially AIO. Maybe when the Zaino is gone…

Anyway, I found this site, and in the past week, I’ve bought The Autopia detailing guide, a PC from Lowe’s, the PC accessory kit from CMA, a CCD (used a Kozak cloth previously), some MF cloths, 3M SMR & FI-II, some Stoner’s Invisible Glass, and the list goes on. I plan to go to work on my black ’99 LS400 once everything arrives, and I get a nice Saturday. I bought it used, and the paint needs some work. Here is my plan, please feel free to advise.

There are a few scratches that can be felt with my fingernail. I plan to try some FI-II with the PC and CMA wool pad to make them less obvious. (I’ve seen differing opinions on whether the wool pad should be used on clearcoat paint.) Then for all of the swirls and light scratches, I plan to go over the entire car with SMR and the yellow pad, followed by SMR again with a white pad if needed, then wash and Zaino by hand. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, and keep the great information coming. I’ve learned a lot in the last week.

:xyxthumbs

Quentin

kunk_man
05-16-2002, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by qwalls

I thought I was finished spending lots of money on detailing supplies.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I found this site a few weeks ago and already bought a PC, backing plate, Meg`s pads, MF`s, etc...

Don`t have too much experience with the PC and pads yet, but I`m sure someone will jump in and answer your question:up

Mike

rtsiv
05-16-2002, 07:22 PM
I guess it`s a disease, and I`m not sure there`s a cure. :D

TonyTahoe
05-16-2002, 07:24 PM
I agree totally. Every day I think I have to go buy something...I think we need to start sending each other stuff to save our wallets. ROFLMAO!

Lemonxxs
05-16-2002, 07:51 PM
WELCOME to the GREATEST Forum on the Internet:wavey

No one twisted your arm to buy those things...LOL

Consider it less expensive then a Head Doctor!

Again Welcome all new members!!:wavey

imported_BretFraz
05-16-2002, 08:20 PM
Hi Quentin,

It`s BretFraz from Edmunds. I see you`ve found my favorite place on the net. Welcome! I love it here although hangin out with Bill and Terry is fun too.

With all this planned work, does it mean you are gonna keep the `99 or are you gonna dump it for a different one? I love reading all your posts about your latest find. You and Sobers are nuts (I mean that jokingly).

Well, glad to see you`re here. Lots of great people and none of the head cases you see over there (well, not too many).

- - Bret - -

rtsiv
05-16-2002, 08:27 PM
Good to hear from you. I hate to say it, but this place has taken some of my time from Edmunds and clublexus. There`s only so much time in the day. I didn`t know you were paying attention to my posts. :-) Well, I just spent $600 on it at the dealers (30k service, coolant flush, brakes), so I guess I`m leaning toward keeping it, but if I happen to stumble across a perfect black/black w/ the Nak stereo, and the price is right, who knows. BTW, I`m not as bad as Sobers! Anyway, if I get it close to perfect, it will be easier to sell, right? Take care.

Quentin

99323ic
05-16-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by qwalls

There are a few scratches that can be felt with my fingernail. I plan to try some FI-II with the PC and CMA wool pad to make them less obvious. (I’ve seen differing opinions on whether the wool pad should be used on clearcoat paint.) Then for all of the swirls and light scratches, I plan to go over the entire car with SMR and the yellow pad, followed by SMR again with a white pad if needed, then wash and Zaino by hand. Any thoughts?Although I don`t consider myself anywhere near expert with a PC, I do know that you do want to start with the least abrasive method first. With that said, start with some SMR a couple of times and see how well that takes care of the scratches. If not, then stick with the yellow pad (after washing, of course) and try some FI-II. Then go back to the SMR and then a cleansing lotion (either Pinnacle`s PPCL or P21S PCL) and then your Zaino.

I`d really stay away from the wool pad until you know what you`re doing with a PC. The risk of ruining your paint is too great.

And WELCOME :wavey to the greatest community in cyberspace !!

rtsiv
05-16-2002, 08:39 PM
I appreciate the advice, and the confirmation of the advice.

Quentin

BradE
05-16-2002, 08:51 PM
Quentin,

Welcome to the forum. :wavey Your plan looks pretty soild, I agree with Jim though, start with the least abrasive first and progress as needed. You don`t want to go too abrasive if you don`t need too, especailly on black.

Again, welcome aboard.

Lowejackson
05-17-2002, 10:21 AM
it will be easier to sell, right?

:up Yes, a well looked after car is always worth more. Welcome to the forum. Waxing is not just about clean cars - its therapy :)

Steven

OpticalBrad
05-17-2002, 10:58 AM
I`ve been lurking for three weeks, and I`ve already spent more money than my wife knows (I hope).

I think this site is the cure...the disease are the swirls on my CRV!

F150BOB
05-17-2002, 05:27 PM
Well, lurking here has only caused me to buy Blackfire, and microfiber towels, and foam applicators, and some other “stuff”. But my truck and car sure do look a lot better.

I’ve also talked one of my co-workers into the Klass twins based on what I’ve learned on this site. He’s happy and so am I.

By the way, I heard about this site from F150online.com. Thanks to Intel486 for suggesting this site there.

BOB

rstype
05-17-2002, 06:02 PM
Hello Quentin! Welcome to the board!

~bw

:wavey

Redcar GUY
05-17-2002, 06:06 PM
Welcome:)