PDA

View Full Version : 100% Carnuba?

SoTex
05-15-2002, 09:13 PM
OK, I read on another post that someone had wax with 100% carnuba. Many jumped on and said that was not possible.

Here`s my take.

You CAN use 100% carnuba in a paste wax. Here`s my example. I`ve had cakes that used 100% Real Butter and some that had margarine. Was the cake itself 100% Real butter? Of course not. I think most manufacturers buy their carnuba from a 3rd party. What they get to use in their "recipes" can be a mixture of carnuba or the 100% stuff that`s hard as rocks.

Someone correct me if I`m wrong.

I`m not an expert on Carnuba, I`m just using real world common sense to try to give USA Auto Detail guy (or whatever his name is) an out.

imported_doug
05-15-2002, 09:23 PM
You`re right - but it is stupid semantics. Suppose you are shopping for a storebought cake - and you find one that is cheaper than other brands. It says "Made with 100% Real Butter"

You buy it and it SUCKS - so you do some research and discover your cake was made with 1 oz of "real" butter and another 15 oz. of "vegetable shortening".

Technically, their statement was correct - but it is misleading.

Two waxes, each with "100% pure carnauba" might differ significantly - one has 2% carnauba by volume, the other has 30%.

SoTex
05-15-2002, 09:25 PM
I agree.

bjwebster
05-15-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by carguy

You`re right - but it is stupid semantics. Suppose you are shopping for a storebought cake - and you find one that is cheaper than other brands. It says "Made with 100% Real Butter"

You buy it and it SUCKS - so you do some research and discover your cake was made with 1 oz of "real" butter and another 15 oz. of "vegetable shortening".

Technically, their statement was correct - but it is misleading.

Two waxes, each with "100% pure carnauba" might differ significantly - one has 2% carnauba by volume, the other has 30%.

Exactly

Lemonxxs
05-15-2002, 10:42 PM
carnauba in pure form is solid and brick like...I guess a good analogy would be candle wax

That said how could you squeeze it from a bottle in liquid form?

Or swipe some from a tin with an applicator?

Food for thought......

BradE
05-16-2002, 07:11 AM
Carguy hit the nail on the head, it`s all marketing crap that these companies come up with. The average Joe Blow does not know a damn thing about car-care, they see the term "100% caranuba" and think it must be a good product. Just not the case.

Many of these wipe on wipe off waxes contain very little caranuba by volume. They are mostly just solvents (which keeps it easy to work with) and lots of Silicone Oil, the caranuba content is very little. All these factors add up to poor durability.

There are some good waxes out there, just do your homework and don`t be fooled by the "100% caranuba" babble.

YoSteve
05-16-2002, 08:10 AM
I guess it`s better to have had them work with 100% carnauba in their formulation.

What if the carnauba they used was Grade D carnauba that had other unidentified crap in it. It that sense it would have been better to use the "100% carnauba" since it is a pure raw material. :nixweiss