PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Dirty Clay . . .

Pages : [1] 2

janderson
05-14-2002, 12:46 PM
My clay is getting very black. Should I stop using it, or can I continue to use it. It is not soaked in dirt, but it has some black streaks in it, so I wanted to make sure that I am not claying with a bar covered with grime, that I have been trying to remove.

Let me know.

Best regards.

Lemonxxs
05-14-2002, 12:48 PM
better to be safe than sorry....I would toss it in the detailer graveyard (garbage can) and pick up a new one.

the dark streaks are probably grime you have clayed off your paint etc....probably debris in there that could scratch.

imported_Intermezzo
05-14-2002, 12:51 PM
Definitely stop using it once you get to the point where folding it doesn`t expose a clean portion of the clay. I would use it one last time on your windshield and then toss it.

Jngrbrdman
05-14-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

Definitely stop using it once you get to the point where folding it doesn`t expose a clean portion of the clay. I would use it one last time on your windshield and then toss it.

Exactly what I was thinking. Try it out on your glass or maybe your rims and then toss that puppy. It served well but its now time to retire. A moment of silence for the clay.....................................

Green Monster
05-14-2002, 01:06 PM
Do not use it. :nono Kiss it good bye. May the clay rest in peace.

Sharkie
05-14-2002, 01:11 PM
Kind of curious how most of you are using your clay bars. I break off small pieces, mold them into about 3cm x 1cm rectangle surface area and fold it every few passes. I’ll tend to use a few of these per job depending on size of car and amount of contaminants, maybe like 40grams worth? Do a lot of you use the whole bar or really big pieces and keep folding? I feel the finer clays are pretty safe but on the other hand I’m kinda paranoid about scratching from debris on the clay. Not saying one way is better than the other just kinda of an impromptu poll.

I don’t have the juevos to try this method : http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10631

:rolleyes:

SJS

Lowejackson
05-14-2002, 02:05 PM
Wow - the Griots system :scared

Throw out the old clay and buy some new, dont risk your paint for a few $$

Steven

99323ic
05-14-2002, 02:30 PM
you can try to fashion it into Gumby characters!! (anybody remember that show??)

Lemonxxs
05-14-2002, 03:08 PM
Sadly Jim I use to watch then way back when I was much much younger.....what was the horseys name????

I think a MR Bill would be more fun to sculpt the clay into so you can smash it!:D

imported_Intermezzo
05-14-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Guess My Name

what was the horseys name????

Pokey

boywonder
05-14-2002, 03:26 PM
I have been known to chuck the clay or use it on the rims.

99323ic
05-14-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

Pokey THANK YOU, Intermezzo...that`s been bugging me all afternoon :nixweiss

samiam513
05-14-2002, 04:17 PM
kinda off topic, but a couple years back mad tv or snl had a sketch called clops. Cops, but with clay figures. It was a funny sketch. I like molding mine into them.

i sound like a little kid

YoSteve
05-14-2002, 04:20 PM
I don`t shape mine like Gumby or Pokey, more like those Blockhead twins :p

imported_fatboy
05-14-2002, 04:22 PM
whats a gumby???...is that some kids show that was on tv back in the 80s or something. never heard of that thing.