PDA

View Full Version : 303 Protectant, Meguiar`s, 3M, and NuFinish - Need input

metroplex
05-14-2002, 10:57 AM
I hear 303 Aerospace Protectant is THE product to use for vinyl, plastic, rubber, etc...

What are your thoughts on this?

I used 303 on my T-bird`s vinyl rooftop and it performs like a waxed surface in the rain. I actually have rivers of water flowing down my rear window when I take off in the rain (a LOT of beading action).

Its made my dashboards really glossy but it doesn`t wear away.

I 303`d my entire dash on my 2000 Crown Vic and T-bird.

I heard Armor-All was bad stuff and no one else had a similar product to 303.

Now to the waxes/polishes:

is NuFinish good? I heard one guy say that he has used it for 11 years on his Toyota and it looks brand new.

I also heard that using 3M Imperial hand Glaze to get the shine out, then sealing the shine with nuFinish is the way to go.

I have a dark dark blue Crown Vic and dark dark blue T-bird, so I`m trying to find products that would keep them looking brand new for at least 15-20 years.

Also, what type of wax is Meguiar`s Gold Class? Meguiar`s makes no mention that it is a Cleaner-wax.

I think I need to build like 3-5 layers on my hood, roof, and trunk because of the sun damage.

Lemonxxs
05-14-2002, 11:23 AM
303 is a PDMS type protectant...water based...Others are:

Vinylex, Zaino tire dressing, Meguiar`s has one, Eagle 1 has one.....and probably others. Many use it on exterior and interior plastic, vinyl and rubber parts.

NuFinish has abrasives in it.

Nufinish will remove the Glaze due to the cleaning properties of Nufinish.

For superior protection to the elements I suggest searching for polymers like Blackfire, Klasse, & Zaino.

Welcome to the forum!:wavey

DETAILKING
05-14-2002, 11:25 AM
It`s one of the best dressings on the market.

As for nu finish. Nu finish is a bit harsh, and in my opinion best suited for older cars that could need some sprucing up. it contains abrasives and I wouldn`t make it a habbit of using it often. It`s fine for the person who wants to use it on their car 2-3 times a year and does not want to bother with prep. It has a decent shine, and good durability. It does make a mess though, stains rubber trim, and dusts like crazy. Also, NU FINISH can not be layered, all you are doing is striping the last coat and kind of reapplying. There are better products out there. Some similar one step products that will yield better results are liquid glass, finish first, and Klasse AIO.

3M IHG is a glaze which is essentially the oil in a carnuba wax, with out the wax. It has its uses, but to use a product like nu finish over it is a waste of time as the nu finish will strip off all the IHG.

Is your car outside or in the garage most of the time? UV kills paint over time, so it if is outside I would use a product that has UV inhibitors in it to prevent against fading...........

metroplex
05-14-2002, 03:01 PM
Hey thanks for the welcome!

The other products seem to wear out for dash protection, etc... The 303 seems to last the longest and doesn`t dry out the part its protecting like silicone-based products.

So Nufinish is abrasive? Do you happen to know what it contains? My dad used to religiously use Raindance. I didn`t know much cars back then but I checked the MSDS and raindance actually contains silica and other abrasive particles! OUCH

Meguiar`s Polymer Sealant isn`t much different from other products except it cotnains china clay... :confused: I don`t know understand how this is a polymer sealant?

the car is kept in the garage most of the time but I need UV protection for the times its not.

Is Zaino THE product to check out?

Should I use 3M IHG first before using Zaino?

Know anything about Meguiar`s Gold Class?

Lemonxxs
05-14-2002, 03:11 PM
Zaino and well polymers in general should be applied to clean, waxfree & oil free paint for proper bonding.......therefore no glaze.

research all the polymers before choosing....they have pros and cons and.... well it is a difficult choice.

Search for the gold class I remember it being typed about on here a few times.

ALAN81
05-14-2002, 03:26 PM
GOLD CLASSis a excellent product (it comes in liquid and paste) i use both>paste is harder to get off but ooooooo what a deep shine,they say it doesnt last long but i disagree.GOLD CLASS attracts dust but I love the product.

metroplex
05-14-2002, 07:04 PM
Can I use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, then layer up Meguiar`s Gold CLass? Or Is Gold Class not this type of product?

I wouldn`t mind washing and waxing 2-3 times a year, so long as they allow me to wash my car yes, its illegal right now in NJ because we`re in a state of drought. They allow us to commit car-body suicide though, aka taking it to a car wash.

DETAILKING
05-14-2002, 09:47 PM
I am in NJ too.....

The only product I would use over IHG is a carnuba wax that is non abrasive and mild solvents.....blitz, p21s, souveran, paste glaz,etc,etc.......