PDA

View Full Version : Tide/Oxiclean mixture a success!!

imported_capspackle
05-13-2002, 10:14 PM
This afternoon i tried out something i have seen very often on the boards.. The tide/Oxiclean mixture. I made a homemade, trial version mixture to see how it would work on a gray carpet with soil, mud, and ketchup. Here is my procedure:

I took an old Windex Bottle for reference of size. I took one entire scoop of OxiClean, and put it in the bottle. Then, i took 1/2 of one of the cups that comes with the Tide, and put that in the bottle as well. Next, i filled the bottle with warm-moderately hot water, until the water was overflowing from the bottle. In order to mix it all well together, i put it into a small bucket, and stirred it around with my hand a couple times until i was sure that all the oxiclean had dissolved. I took a hose, and wet the carpet. Next, i pured the entire bucket of solution onto the carpet. With a fairly stiff bristle, intended for tires, i scrubbed the solution into the carpet. I let it soak in for about 2-3 minutes. Then, began to rub it in a little with my hands, extracting some of the excess water at the same time. I took the hose, put it on "stream", and began spraying the carpet, pushing out the water and foam. Took about 10 minutes before i was satisfied that all the solution was gone. Placed the carpet in the HOT tropical sun and it was dry in about 4 hours.

the result: INCREDIBLE.. I purchased these carpets about 4 months ago, and i was amazed at how closely they resembled the day i bought them. For anyone owning a pathfinder, you know the front carpets have white lettering on the carpets saying "Pathfinder" this lettering used to be a dull gray, and was now back to its original white.

For anyone wanting an effective, cheap way of cleaning carpets, i HIGHLY recommend this.

Preachers Sheets
05-14-2002, 07:27 AM
I used half of a can of "tuff stuff" and they came out nice but not as nice as your carpets it seems. My rugs are 4 years old though and never were cleaned.

rd_volvo
05-14-2002, 12:23 PM
Anyone know where u can get Oxi other than Bed Bath

and Beyond? No BBB near me. Got a Linien & Things.

I checked their website and they don`t show distributors.

Home Depot?

Lemonxxs
05-14-2002, 12:44 PM
Grocery stores in my area carry it in the little tub thingy.

medic
05-14-2002, 12:57 PM
clorox has also released somehting similar to oxyclean, minus the annoying loud announcer guy that comes with oxyclean.

can oxyclean bleach or do any damage to carpets? does it work on stains that are set into the carpet/cloth seats. My GFs car is pretty nasty, but I don`t want to use it if it will just cause some other sort of damage.

TonyTahoe
05-14-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by rd_volvo

and Beyond? Home Depot?

YES! I bought some there a few weeks ago.

jsalemi
05-14-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by rd_volvo

and Beyond? No BBB near me. Got a Linien & Things.

I checked their website and they don`t show distributors.

Home Depot?

Every WalMart I`ve ever been in has it (it`s usually by the laundry detergents), and I`ve even seen it in the local Target.

---joe

99323ic
05-14-2002, 04:13 PM
Take a look at this thread (http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=10480).

EvilTheCat
05-27-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by medic

clorox has also released somehting similar to oxyclean, minus the annoying loud announcer guy that comes with oxyclean.

can oxyclean bleach or do any damage to carpets? does it work on stains that are set into the carpet/cloth seats. My GFs car is pretty nasty, but I don`t want to use it if it will just cause some other sort of damage.

From what I understand, Oxiclean forms hydrogen peroxide "sort of" It mainly attacks organics, my guess is it has a mild detergent in it. "just to aid in the cleaning" I use Oxiclean whenever I spill something organic on the carpet, or my dog gets sick. It is virtually useless for stuff such as oil, or chemical stains. It is pretty ineffective on wax.

One thing you want to be carefull of is leather, it will leach the coloring from it. My wife washed a pair of my gym shoes in it once, all the color was gone from the leather, and it left the surface with a slimy feel.