PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 911 Undercarriage Gunk?

Av8er
05-13-2002, 12:54 PM
Hi,

I `m new to this forum but have a question regarding detailing the undercarriage/wheel wells of my `89 911 Carrera.

I did an archives search, but couldn`t locate a similar issue.

In the rear wheel wells (especially on the oil lines that run though the RR) and on the rear suspension pieces (trailing arms, shocks, metal backing plates on the brake disks) I`ve got a hardended, light tan crusty coating in various places.

If I rub/apply a some Wurth Citrus Degreaser with plenty of elbow grease I can remove small portions at at a time, but it takes ALOT of elbow grease. To do all the affected areas would take a few months at that pace.

(1) Anyone know what this stuff is? Baked oil? Cosmoline?

(2) Is there a better way to remove it? Other products? Would having a professional pressure wash (or steam clean?) be something to try?

Please feel free to email me.

Thanks again for the input.

Tim

Lemonxxs
05-13-2002, 01:57 PM
Got a pic?

imported_StyleTEG
05-13-2002, 01:58 PM
Could it possibly be old undercoating?

If not, maybe try some brake cleaner. Its pretty powerful so you want to be careful where you spray it. I wouldn`t normaly recomend it, but if your degreeser isn`t doing anything it sounds like it needs something pretty strong.

Formulas
05-18-2002, 07:41 PM
Tim,

We recently had a similar thread on the Rennlist.com 993 forum. On our cars, we`re able to clean the undercarriage w/o so much elbow grease, it would appear, as in yours. Most think it`s cosmoline but it`s a guess without actually looking at it.

Go the 911 forum here and ask:

http://forums.rennlist.com