PDA

View Full Version : PCing a nervous Porsche onwer

hckirchner
05-11-2002, 08:25 PM
A good friend of mine has a black Carerra (something along the lines of a `96-98). He is a McGuiar`s devotee but he has not tried other products. He will never admit it, but he is privately envious of the deep black detailed look of my BMW 330Ci, but he was chagrined to find out that I had a PC. I told him I had the same trepidation with I switched from hand polishing to PC but I was sold on it and convinced it does not burn through the clear coat. He says a repaininted Porsche is automatically devalued and he cannot quite believe the PC is as safe as I say it is.

Can any of you help with PC success/failure stories -- particularly any of you who have Porsches? I will forward the string to him.

I have been using Klasse but am just aobut fed up with its inconsistent streaking. I am switching to Blackfire and want to try it out on his Porsche -- but if I burn a corner, he will keeeeeel me.

Thanks.

imported_doug
05-11-2002, 09:11 PM
Couple of thoughts:

1) You aren`t going to remove swirls with Blackfire. I`m not a big fan of polymers for black cars anyway. You will get GREAT results with an all-Meguiar`s line-up: Swirl remover 2.0, optionally followed by #9 Show Car Glaze, followed by wax. If you want a longer lasting wax at the expense of best finish, use #26 Hi-tech Yellow. The best gloss/wet look comes from their Gold Class Liquid Wax, which you can both apply and buff off with the orbital. of course, if you really want to show him something, take another 15 minutes and top the whole thing off with some Souveran.

2) You won`t burn a corner with the orbital.

I`ve spent a lot of time on my own black Porsche, and have done other black cars. One such story is on line - http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4686

I also just did another friend`s black porsche - he had water spots he couldn`t get rid of. HE thought he didn`t have a lot of swirls - but I did. we got rid of both. Long live the PC!!!!!

Mindflux
05-11-2002, 11:34 PM
Carguy,

I was looking for the Swirl Remover 2.0 on Meguiars site but couldn`t find it... I didn`t look hard but I thought the Swirl Remover was #9? The Glaze according to Meguiars.com is #7? Maybe I`m confused...

imported_doug
05-11-2002, 11:36 PM
sorry - brain fart. (Can I say that here?)

yes, #7 is show car glaze, #9 is siwlr remover. Meguiars` is absolutely AWFUL about updating their web site. If you order it from them I`m confident you`ll get 2.0 - they switched from one to the other almost a year ago. It is still called #9 - but they haven`t updated the web photo.

Mindflux
05-11-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by carguy

sorry - brain fart. (Can I say that here?)

yes, #7 is show car glaze, #9 is siwlr remover. Meguiars` is absolutely AWFUL about updating their web site. If you order it from them I`m confident you`ll get 2.0 - they switched from one to the other almost a year ago. It is still called #9 - but they haven`t updated the web photo.

O.K That ends the confusion!! :) YAY

I PPCL`d my car today.. well part of it.. I didn`t do `below the beltline`.. cuz I was scared it might still be gritty .. My white PC pad was literally black by the time I did the upper half... I thought at that point my car didn`t have a clearcoat.. but I guess it was maybe just a bunch of fallout or something... I dunno.. I need to break out the 3M SMR tomorrow.. ugh scared..

Chalky
05-11-2002, 11:50 PM
I also am a nervous Porsche owner. I`ve swapped emails with carguy and I am going to PC my 1988 Black Porsche 911. This car is a garage queen, with excellent paint, but I`m going to make it better. I purchased a PC from Lowe`s on my way home from work last night.

After much research and carguy`s advice, I`m going to do the following:

Meguiar`s Swirl Remover #9 (2.0) with my PC using CMA white pad

Meguiar`s Liquid Gold Class applied with PC using CMA black pad, removed by hand.

Another coat of GC.

Final topper of Souveran.

Do I have this right Carguy?

2k2blackWRX
05-11-2002, 11:52 PM
I would never reccomend using the Pc on a porshe owner. I dont think anyone, especially porsche owners like the pc bieng used on them

B

TortoiseAWD
05-12-2002, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by carguy

sorry - brain fart. (Can I say that here?)I`ve found "synaptic flatulence" to be a good euphemism when a more "polite" term is desired. :D

Tort

hckirchner
05-12-2002, 08:01 AM
Thanks for all your help on this thread. Just curious if you reservations about using polymers on black paint is just the look or some other broader concersn about how they interact with the paint/color.

detaled by hans
05-12-2002, 08:52 AM
Bravo......somebody with some sense in here.......pc.... a porsche......fat chance.....pc yourself first........custom hand work.....the only way to go.....

jleev
05-12-2002, 09:00 AM
I am in the process of PC`ing a Black Porsche 993.

Had great all though be it time consuming results with 3M FN II & SMR however every time I touch the car since I have scratched it. I am meticules with washing procedure and nothing has touched that paint since PC`ing except 100% US cotton and MF towels.

Soft paint??????

imported_doug
05-12-2002, 09:53 AM
SkipII - Polymers are a more of a pain than carnauba. They take more time to cure, (or you have to deal with mixing Zfx and cleaning bottles wth Zaino.) SG takes care to buff out and is hard to see, they "micro-mar", etc.

Now - all this might well be worth it if longevity is important - these products do last really well. But even after only a few washes and drives I see swirls I`d rather not have - on some section of the car. So I polish them out - which of course removes any polymer, no matter how many layers I put on. What`s the point? A single layer of carnauba would have lasted long enough.

Plus, carnauba looks better - wetter and deeper - than polymer on black. (I think polymer may well look better than carnauba on silver, by the way.) Now - I could put a carnauba top coat over the polymer - but then I can`t re-apply polymer unless I strip the wax ..... It is just easier to stick with carnauba.

Finally, I like to use polishes and glazes some times - and they are generally not compatible with polymers.

jleev - once you get a black car looking really good, you learn, perhaps for the first time, just how easy it is to scratch the paint - and since you got all the old swirls out, the new scratches show easily. It becomes an obsession. But I don`t think the clearcoat over black is any different than the clearcoat over silver - it is just way easier to see these microfine scratches. They are very shallow - so between the times you choose to really remove them, just apply a glaze, polish or other filling product, and wax - it will hide them pretty effectively. You might want to read my post in the "the little tricks you`ve learned" thread for some lessons I`ve taken away.

hckirchner
05-12-2002, 10:23 AM
CARGUY

Thanks for the help again.

Interesting comment about micro-marring. One of my biggest disaapointments with Klasse is that it seems like I am constantly wiping the car, especially after a wash, to remove a hazy, streaky look.

While there are a lot of fans of Klasse here on the board, I do think sometimes we are in collective denial about how difficult it is to apply/remove and how it seems to "float" on the surface at times.

jleev
05-12-2002, 06:20 PM
Thank you for your comments. With out another vehicle to reference it is difficult to know just how obsesive one needs to be to achieve the best possible results.

Regards,

Jleev

DaGonz
05-12-2002, 08:30 PM
I`d be nervous too if you were trying to PC me and not my car! :shocked :D

Would you use the white or yellow CMA pad?

What speed setting would you use?

Would you Zaino, BlackFire or Klasse me?

Would you buff me with a microfiber towel?

Will it hurt?